Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-16-2022, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Intermediate question regarding the use of more than one Master Fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My 2 cents:
#2-If you are concerned about clipping, work in the 32 bit mode for the massive increase in headroom.
Just a friendly correction on this point.
You cannot NOT work in 32-bit mode in Pro Tools. The mixer is 32/64 bit all the time.

The option to have your session running at 16/24/32 is purely referring to the creation of files. In other words you can have a 16-bit session where all your files will be recorded at 16 bit resolution, but the moment you move any fader or apply any processing, you are outputting a 32-bit stream.

This is easy to prove with a bit meter/scope.
So rest assured that you are working with ridiculous headroom at all times!
Old 08-16-2022, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Intermediate question regarding the use of more than one Master Fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
You cannot NOT work in 32-bit mode in Pro Tools. The mixer is 32/64 bit all the time.
The option to have your session running at 16/24/32 is purely referring to the creation of files. In other words you can have a 16-bit session where all your files will be recorded at 16 bit resolution, but the moment you move any fader or apply any processing, you are outputting a 32-bit stream.
Of course, you're right. Still, the moment you 'print' audio to a new track in a 16bit session, the file will be 16bit, so I guess it might distort on playback.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Of course, you're right. Still, the moment you 'print' audio to a new track in a 16bit session, the file will be 16bit, so I guess it might distort on playback.
That's a fair and true point.
But as long as you reduce your output to below 0dB FS - which is where you should be working anyway - it will print fine.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
A masterfader in PT is a visualization of a physical output.
*ANY* output, whether physical or logical (buss).

Quote:
plugins being pre-fader
*POST* fader
Old 08-17-2022, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
*ANY* output, whether physical or logical (buss).
*POST* fader
Yea. Thanks
Back to put things right, are you?
Just kidding.
Welcome back and I hope you're well, Janne.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:53 AM

JFreaks's timeliness is 64 bit and never clips.

Or never oversteps, I should say...

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory
Old 08-17-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I hope you're well, Janne.
Thanks. Slight nerval problem with my hands still preventing to type with 10 finger system, but I suppose I will survive...
Old 09-08-2022, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Thanks for the kind words Mike!
You're Welcome Dave!

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post

I was referring to the option when you create a new session(screen shot), though I may not have full understanding on some stuff that happens "under the hood". Ridiculous headroom or not, it is possible to push things to the point where they sound distorted, but I suppose that could be the converters on the way out, or some plugin(s). Everyone has my blessing on correcting me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 bit option.jpg (34.8 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2022, 05:37 PM

It's all cool Dave:)

All of this answered my question which really came from reading an article that was written in the days of PT LE!
Since there is the option to create any number of Master faders I became curious as to why.

Then I read the section on Master faders in the PT ref guide and it mentioned using a Master fader to taper multiple signals going into an aux when sub-mixing. So I thought maybe that article wasn't entirely out of date.
Hence, my post.

I do understand that 32/64 bit processing provides more than ample headroom so maybe they should update that part of the ref guide on clipping an aux channel saying this is less of a concern with the latest processing ability.
I also saw someone post about how an aux channel in their session wouldn't red light anymore.
I'll have to read that again but I understand it's because of 32/64bit processing under the hood.

You guys also answered my question as to how audio is still passed without a Master fader.

There's been times I've instantiated an instrument and started playing forgetting to employ a Master fader.
It piqued my curiosity and I started thinking maybe having a Master fader had something to do with making the PT audio engine work more efficiently or something.
Then wondering if an MF is required to taper the signal (change the word length) or sum the signals digitally. IDK

I see how it's more a visual than anything and that multiple Master faders are also used to send signals to outboard gear.

Anyhow, my post was more out of curiosity than concern about clipping.
Using PT with one Master fader works fine for my songwriting & demo sessions.

Thanks for sharing your insights!
You guys are the business.

And just to clarify on Ben's behalf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
*POST* fader
I believe Ben was referring to pre-fader processing as the option one has when using an Aux as a Master as opposed to using a traditional Master with post-processing:

Quote:

I've always used an aux as my master. I route everything thru it and it goes to my main outs. I could have not had a masterfader at all, just the aux, but I usually crate one just to have a volume control, any "masterfader plugins" goes on the aux, and I keep the aux fader at -0db.

It has several advantages, plugins being pre-fader, more flexible routing ++.
And yes, pre & post-processing logistics are yet another reason whether or not to opt for an additional Master.

Thanks for your input Jannes.

Last edited by take77; 09-12-2022 at 09:48 PM.