Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-08-2022, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Avid Icon Control Surface Compatibility (D|Command/Control) with PT Studio 2022.4

I have a Mac Studio ultra that I’ve been testing, and plan to return, that’s a different discussion for another day. That said, if I can get time today or tomorrow, I uninstall Protools and then reinstall the native version and test my D-command with it.

I don’t suspect that it’ll work, as it’s always required ultimate in the past. For that very reason, I’m actually selling my 24 channel de command, I just received an SSL UF8 that I’m really, really enjoying.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Avid Icon Control Surface Compatibility (D|Command/Control) with PT Studio 2022.4

I can confirm it DOESN'T work on Studio.
With the advanced automation and several other things trickling down to PT Studio, it would have allowed some people to jump down a tier.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
That said, if I can get time today or tomorrow, I uninstall Protools and then reinstall the native version and test my D-command with it.
It’s the same installer I believe for Studio and Ultimate.. just the iLok asset that determines which features you have access to. Making the d|command/control incompatibility even more frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I’m actually selling my 24 channel de command, I just received an SSL UF8 that I’m really, really enjoying.
That’s interesting! Is there anything you’re missing on the UF8 that the d|command does? What are you enjoying about the UF8?
Old 05-08-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
I can confirm it DOESN'T work on Studio.
With the advanced automation and several other things trickling down to PT Studio, it would have allowed some people to jump down a tier.
Quite disappointing. It seemed a logical step to me with the automation features as you mentioned. Also means those that are happy to jump in on a used d|command/control and don’t want Ultimate aren’t able to do so.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua View Post
Also means those that are happy to jump in on a used d|command/control and don’t want Ultimate aren’t able to do so.
I think that's the idea..? So you have to buy S1 or Docks or whatever..
Old 05-08-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I think that's the idea..? So you have to buy S1 or Docks or whatever..
Yeah of course it is. So off the icons go to Land fill. Not very environmentally conscious attitude from Avid.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua View Post
Yeah of course it is. So off the icons go to Land fill. Not very environmentally conscious attitude from Avid.
Why do they go to landfill? You think people will get rid of them because they need to stay on the tier they already were at?
Old 05-09-2022, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
Why do they go to landfill? You think people will get rid of them because they need to stay on the tier they already were at?
Ok, so maybe that’s a little dramatic, but it feels to me that they’ll be less useful as the bigger installations upgrade to s series controllers. There will be some PT Studio users that would consider Ultimate to get access to these things, but the price of entry is now a bigger obstacle for lower end users who want to take advantage of the secondhand market. It’s just a thought. I’ve considered it, but it’s hard to justify now.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:13 AM

I wouldn't have thought that there would be many people with Icons or D-Commands who use Studio.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:17 AM

I think you're probably right, but for music at least with the advanced automation features now in studio I'd think they'd be looking at it wondering..
Not much good for post with the 1 video thing though.