Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM

Default Suddenly having iLok issues out of nowhere...

Hi guys, Lately when I start up PT9 I'm getting a message telling me that no ilok is found. Sometimes it will tell me the PT9 auth isn't found, other times its Waves or Autotune. Either way, I unplug the ilok2 and plug it back in and everything is good but this is starting to get annoying. It never did this for the past year, just started doing it out of nowhere. Any ideas what might be going wrong?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Suddenly having iLok issues out of nowhere...

I would start with a different USB port. If its on a hub, get it off the hub and straight to the rear motherboard ports.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM

If that doesn't help(its my first recommendation as well) then maybe re-install/update the iLok drivers. After that, I would probably think about moving your assets to another iLok. Speaking of that, you might check to see if the ilok will sync correctly to your iLok account.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah it syncs to ilok.com fine. I'm using the newest drivers too. It's an iLok2 and I have been considering moving all the licenses back to ilok1. The problems did start when I added the hub to accommodate my eLicenser key, but if I ditch it I don't have enough ports for everything: mouse, midi controller, iphone, ilok, & elicenser. PITA!

I'm thinking I'll plugin the ilok and elicenser direct and leave everything else on the hub.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah it syncs to ilok.com fine. I'm using the newest drivers too. It's an iLok2 and I have been considering moving all the licenses back to ilok1. The problems did start when I added the hub to accommodate my eLicenser key, but if I ditch it I don't have enough ports for everything: mouse, midi controller, iphone, ilok, & elicenser. PITA!

I'm thinking I'll plugin the ilok and elicenser direct and leave everything else on the hub.
there is a definite quality issue with hubs. i have had the best luck with the models that actually have to be plugged in to power as well as the usb port. they are not powered off the usb ports in the motherboard and seem to be longer lasting and more reliable. you could be draining the power with to many devices hooked to the hub.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Did you remember to shut off the power management feature on all USB ports(aka Root Hub in Device Manager)? I have gone between iLok 1 and iLok 2 here without issue. As for limited USB ports, is it a laptop? Does it have a card slot where you could add more ports? What is the elicenser for? Why do you need the iPhone connected while running Pro Tools?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: Suddenly having iLok issues out of nowhere...

Looks like it's back to normal now. Plugged in the iLok2 and eLicenser direct and everything else in the hub then my mouse shut off, so obviously this hub is dead. Ditched it and now I'm good. Albee1952 I just saw your post- it's a desktop and no I didn't have the power management disabled- but I do now- thanks! I don't need the iphone cable plugged in but it is convenient. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 AM

With a desktop, you should peek inside. Many motherboards have extra USB headers along the lower edge and you could add 2 more ports with a USB backplane(or maybe more). Also, if you have an open PCI or PCIe slot, you could add more ports with a card.