Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Please help, Midi note length...

Hi!

I don´t have the time to search the whole manual (but I´ll search anyway).

I wanna create spme drums, but the note length on the instrument track is too long. Can anybody explain me how to get more notes into one bar?

I know I read it, but can´t find it...
Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Please help, Midi note length...

You can use the trim tool to change the length of the MIDI note. Hope that helps.

Andy
Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Please help, Midi note length...

Patill, it's more a technique than a function and this might explain why you're having difficulty specifically finding what you are looking for in the Reference Guide. The workflow requires you to put two and two together. Anyways...

First thing is to set the Grid Value, making sure that you have enabled the Grid Edit mode and that the Grid does in fact display (if this doesn't, either click the Bars:Beats Ruler or go, Setup>Preferences>Display tab and check 'Draw Grids in Edit Window' in the Basics option box). If you are going to have 1/16th hits, you need to set the Grid Value to 1/16 Note and then zoom in with the MIDI Zoom In button, so that you can see the setting that's best for your workflow.

Second thing is to set the Pencil tool Value and this can be done by enabling the 'Custom Note Duration' option, this can be found at the bottom of the Pencil tool drop down list. Once this is done, click the 'Custom Note Duration' button and set the value to 1/16 Note.

Now, if you click and hold with the Pencil tool, you will see that the pencil tool will automatically draw 1/16th note blocks.

Depending on your workflow, you'd set the Grid Value and the Custom Note Duration according to what hit values you require for the drum pattern, whether this be 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/4 and so on.

You can also, as previously mentioned, use the Trim tool in conjunction with Custom Note Duration (Pencil tool) to quickly lengthen or shorten the note value. However, the Pencil tool also, doubles as a trimmer (Trim tool), grabber (Grabber tool) and as an Eraser (Alt-click). So, yet again, many ways of going about this and you'll find what best suits you.

You'll also need to look at Velocities and Quantization. These can be found in the Reference Guide under those headings.

You might also like to look up Zoom Toggle, here you can toggle between full screen note display and medium track height region view for an overview of your work.

Anyways... I hope this helps.

filosofem