Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Default HDX And DSP Cache

So what happened to DSP Cache function in HDX?
it's gone
Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Re: HDX And DSP Cache

Should be there under playback engine> Disk Playback>Cache size

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Should be there under playback engine> Disk Playback>Cache size

C
Carl, Thats Disk Cache, not DSP cache, which yes, Touchwood, is gone, so is manual Voice assignment, (Only Dyn or Off like Native) and a few other things I won't rant about :)

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Hey Kingfish, are you using HDX on a Harpertown Mac?

Also, how are you getting along with hardly any DSP plugins for tracking?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Kingfish,

Quote:
.......is gone, so is manual Voice assignment, (Only Dyn or Off like Native)....
Wow. Is this really true? Seriously? Really?? Wow. This will be a show stopper for me. My "InstaComp®" routine relies TOTALLY on manual voice assignment, ie: When I'm about to record say, a guitar part, I have a bunch of tracks all assigned to the same voice and with "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" activated, I can then record from 'south to north' in the edit window and the one highest up the screen always plays. This works so great for dropping in on higher tracks whilst keeping all clips below available and visible, and then with a few rough slices and clip muting, I get a quick and dirty comp which can be tidied up later. I will be VERY disappointed if this is totally gone. Seems like madness.

Steve Bush
www.music180.com/pros/5887

MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Hey Kingfish, are you using HDX on a Harpertown Mac?

Also, how are you getting along with hardly any DSP plugins for tracking?
Yes, Werner... I am using HDX on a Harpertown, although not supported, i'm not going to run out and grab a 12 core Westmere, until i KNOW it's the last MacPro Ever made, OR it's replacement is announced (And I'll buy that one)

I've got 3 iLoks, all pretty much a "Clone" of my workflow, so when I travel, I've got all my plugs with me, without shutting down one of the working studio rooms. each one is worth at least $10k, and took me a decade to accumulate... every time I wanted a plugin, or package, it cost me 3x as much... $30k in Plugs, that are worth about $500.00 on the e-bay / used market.

I'm tired of babysitting 3rd party plugins, updates, incompatibilities, and it always costs me 3x the cost, to Upgrade.

I'm using this move to HDX as an excuse to clean up my workflow... Waves bailed on DSP AAX development "For now" as a priority, that helped my decision to see how much i could really do, with ALOT less.

I lucked out with timing, and JUST handed in 2 records I'd had in progress for 1/2 a year, and STARTED 3 new records, So... I'm cleaning up my workflow.

I'm using Avid ChannelStrip DSP everywhere, as my main "Workhorse Plugin" Replacing my previous MetricHalo CS, for Gate, EQ, Compression, Sidechaining etc... It sounds good to me, albeit I wish it had at least a 24db range, (12 DB is too subtle "Sweeping / looking for things")

There are a few character, and "Magical tools" I need to keep around, but I'm trying to create many Mod Dly III presets that emulate what some of the other Delay plugins I've accumulated do, with a fair amount of success.

I'd have a pretty hard time giving up SoundToys, but I've spoken with them directly, and they are pretty committed to AAX / DSP so, for now, I'm using them as Native, and I'm almost at the end of my 1st run of mixes, using only

- Avid ChanelStrip DSP
- Sound Toys Native
- Mod DLY III
- Dynamic Spectrum Mapper (Which has always been Native)
- ReverbOne DSP
- SPL Transient Designer (Native till AAX DSP)

And I seem to Still have lots of Native, and DSP headroom left to grow, on some pretty big sessions. The biggest problem, is going "Back to HD, or Native", running all the ChannelStrips, Mod DLY III's, Dyn3 Deesser's etc... ALL convert to Native, these sessions are choking "Back platform" attempts at working on these sessions.

I'm going to try to move forward with just the basics, from McDSP, Sound Toys, and Avid.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA

Last edited by KingFish; 01-29-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Kingfish,

Wow. Is this really true? Seriously? Really?? Wow. This will be a show stopper for me. My "InstaComp®" routine relies TOTALLY on manual voice assignment, ie: When I'm about to record say, a guitar part, I have a bunch of tracks all assigned to the same voice and with "Mute Frees Assigned Voice" activated, I can then record from 'south to north' in the edit window and the one highest up the screen always plays. This works so great for dropping in on higher tracks whilst keeping all clips below available and visible, and then with a few rough slices and clip muting, I get a quick and dirty comp which can be tidied up later. I will be VERY disappointed if this is totally gone. Seems like madness.

Steve Bush

MacPro 4.1 (Nehalem) 2.26 8 Core, OSX 10.6.8, PT10HD, 14 Gig RAM, PCIe HD3, 192, Sync I/O, Midi I/O.
Yep, it's really gone, all voice allocation workflow, from a decade+ of HD, gone, in 1 Swipe.

IMAGE I've evolved most of my voice stealing workflow into my own bastardized version of their "Playlist view intentions" which is working well for me (Not using solo or mutes, and treating Top Playlist, like the only "Voiced track") - However... the workflow of being able to voice regions... sorry... "Clips" on different playlists / tracks muting, and un-muting vertically, so that the top voice "Plays", is gone.

I'm pretty surprised by that.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 01-29-2012, 02:52 PM

doing stuff like that shapes your customer base into buying into 512 or 768 voices.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Carl, Thats Disk Cache, not DSP cache, which yes, Touchwood, is gone, so is manual Voice assignment, (Only Dyn or Off like Native) and a few other things I won't rant about :)
Thanks. Apparently something I know nothing about.

Guess I can't miss what I didn't have before but of course now I'll go digging to see what I"m missing.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM

Thumbs down Re: HDX And DSP Cache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Kingfish,

Steve Bush

manual voice assign is going.......?