Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Default MPowered vs LE

Hi, apologies for what I know are easy questions, but I haven't been able to find this information yet.

I bought a Profire 2626 because I needed the 8 XLR's in. I usually use Logic and it's a good fit. I have it hooked up by my piano since that's where I do my programming.

I also need to edit in Protools since I am recording a cd in a studio that uses Protools. Part of the reason I bought the Profire is because it can use Protools.

I really only need to edit, but recording into Protools is a nice-to-have, especially if I might be using Protools more in the future.

If I buy MPowered, do I absolutely have to have it physically connected to my Profire if I'm only editing? I'm led to believe that. But I've also seen people mention things like iLok? I really need to be able to edit my protools tracks from somewhere other than my piano bench, and I'm not going to hook up my entire recording setup (eight mics) to move the Profire somewhere else. And I really don't need another recording hardware device.

Otherwise, I was thinking the LE Micro might be a good fit, but I don't see that on Avid's website anymore, is that a supported product anymore?

What would your advice be?

Thanks for any help, I went to Avid's website to find their product information number, and then I called it and it directed me back to the website's page where I found the phone number. urgh...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Default Re: MPowered vs LE

Pro tools needs the ilok and profire connected in order for pro tools to run, even if you are editing. Le does not make any sense for your situation because you already own a Profire which cannot connect to LE directly. It can only connect to LE via ADAT through an 003 device. You should check out the M-audio Transit for editing. It is small, cheap ($80) and will allow you to edit with m-powered anywhere.

later,

Scott
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Hey, thank you. That makes things clearer.

It looks like the plusses and minuses are these.

LE:
- Buy Micro (about $214 at Amazon)
- Comes with LE free
- iLok not included, not required, but required for some plugins
- Can use DV toolkit
- Cannot use Profire to record

MPowered:
- Buy Transit (found for $29.99 at Amazon; GrooveLab mix kit)
- Buy MPowered ($216 at Amazon)
- iLok included, always required
- Cannot use DV toolkit
- Can use Profire

So... an extra $32 and the requirement to use both USB ports on my MacBook Pro, and not being able to use DV toolkit, in exchange for being able to record using my Profire (even though I normally record into Logic). This is a real pick 'em for me, but I will go the MPowered route. If I go nuts with Protools later, I'd want to buy new hardware anyway.

The two USB ports bugs me though. :)
Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Wow! I cant believe you found a transit for that price. They seem to be sold out almost everywhere. Even used ones on ebay are going for way over that price! They are identical to the normal transit just with a different label. Anyways, I just bought one, you should also if you have not already, because I am sure they wont last at that price.

later,

Scott
Old 10-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Yeah! I was pretty pleased to find that. I'm just lucky I discovered that groovelab=m-audio, because I got zero matches on amazon when searching for m-audio transit.

I'm guessing m-audio is coming out with something else, they seem to be trying to get rid of these. There was a promotion that expired Sep 30th (I *think* it was this year) that said if you buy MPowered and send in your proof-of-purchase, you get a Transit for free.

Oh well, I'm happy I'll be able to edit from the couch.