Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 06:09 AM

Default Could not complete your request because std::exception.

Hi guys

I'm just migrating my system across to a new computer (going from an old mid-2011 imac w/ 003 rack to a 2018 mac mini w/ UAD Apollo 8 quad) and in the process moving from PT 2019 to 2022. I'm getting the error code in the title of this thread whenever I try to open a session that was made on my old system. New sessions open fine (from the same location).

Can anyone help?

Thank you

T
Old 10-04-2022, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Could not complete your request because std::exception.

Hi found this for you check if it help you !

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=345800
Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterfly View Post
Hi guys

I'm just migrating my system across to a new computer (going from an old mid-2011 imac w/ 003 rack to a 2018 mac mini w/ UAD Apollo 8 quad) and in the process moving from PT 2019 to 2022. I'm getting the error code in the title of this thread whenever I try to open a session that was made on my old system. New sessions open fine (from the same location).

T
That error message ain't going to be any help. You need to troubleshoot.

You say migrating, I hope you are not ignoring all the advice posted on DUC and actually trying to use migration assistant to move years worth of app mess to a new system. if so I would give up now, do a clean macOS install and start over cleanly reinstalling all your drivers, apps and plugins.

Otherwise as for troubleshooting, the advice there is always suspect plugins, and plugins seem an obvious suspect to start with here. Read "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page for troubleshooting info. Be careful suckering yourself into wasting lots of time troubleshooting if you screwed up and used migration assasin.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
That error message ain't going to be any help. You need to troubleshoot.

You say migrating, I hope you are not ignoring all the advice posted on DUC and actually trying to use migration assistant to move years worth of app mess to a new system. if so I would give up now, do a clean macOS install and start over cleanly reinstalling all your drivers, apps and plugins.

Otherwise as for troubleshooting, the advice there is always suspect plugins, and plugins seem an obvious suspect to start with here. Read "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page for troubleshooting info. Be careful suckering yourself into wasting lots of time troubleshooting if you screwed up and used migration assasin.
Thanks Darryl. I use the term “migrate” loosely. I didn’t use migration assistant for the exact reasons you specified. Been going through painstakingly doing everything but by bit. I tried dragging a session off of my old external drive and chucking it onto the desktop of the new system and it opened no problem, so I guess it’s an issue in this area.. I’ll continue to investigate. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi found this for you check if it help you !

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=345800
Thank you brother!
Old 10-04-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterfly View Post
Thanks Darryl. I use the term “migrate” loosely. I didn’t use migration assistant for the exact reasons you specified. Been going through painstakingly doing everything but by bit. I tried dragging a session off of my old external drive and chucking it onto the desktop of the new system and it opened no problem, so I guess it’s an issue in this area.. I’ll continue to investigate. Thanks for your time.
Sounds like a good catch. How is that different? Where were the old sessions that would not open? You mean if you just connected the old external drive they would not open on that? But they do if dragged to the desktop? What drive/file system? How exactly is the old drive connected to the mac mini?

what if you create a new session on the old drive? Make sure you have seperate backup of that drive before doing anything else. even better, clone it and test using the clone.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-04-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
OK then suspect plugins... are all the old sessions using the same plugin? or related plugins from the same vendor which you are not using in the new sessions?

But either way test, starting with moving *all* .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs and restart. If old sessions now open you know it is a plugin issue (and keep experimenting, putting batches of .aaxplugin files back in place/removing as needed to find it) or if not you know it is not a plugin issue. A lot of info gained in just the first test taking minutes.
Hi Darryl what happened with the app you've developed that show installed plugins and versions ?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi Darryl what happened with the app you've developed that show installed plugins and versions ?

After talking with Pete Gates he added that capability back into PT Prefs several years ago. My utility is still probably downloadable on my website, I have not checked in years, but PT Prefs is the way to go. We all used exactly the same data buried in the plugin.

Note: I edited/deleted the quick reply you quoted when I reread gutterfly's post and it seems he has shown the location of the session matters... if so very unlikely to be a plugin.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
After talking with Pete Gates he added that capability back into PT Prefs several years ago. My utility is still probably downloadable on my website, I have not checked in years, but PT Prefs is the way to go. We all used exactly the same data buried in the plugin.

Note: I edited/deleted the quick reply you quoted when I reread gutterfly's post and it seems he has shown the location of the session matters... if so very unlikely to be a plugin.
Ok ! Got it and thanks for the info on the quoted post