Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-14-2021, 12:28 PM

Default *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead?

Hi Carbon users.... considering getting a Carbon....

If the Carbon is some distance from me (say 20 feet) and I'm on my MacBookPro....

would it be easy to monitor stereo audio from ProTools to the MacBookPro (ideally an Apogee Groove into a USB port on the macBookPro... or even just the 1/8" headphone out on the MacBookPro).... and thus not touch the Carbon at all as it is 20+ feet away?

In other words can i *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead to monitor ProTools?

thanks.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Re: *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead?

Pro Tools only uses 1 audio device for input and output. Can't split that up.

You can run an output (line level or digital) from the Carbon to another device nearer to you.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:36 PM

Default Re: *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead?

I would just add a headphone extension cable. Why buy a unit with really good headphone amps and then not use them I'm also not following on why you would park the unit 20' away when most functions are done on the front panel(aren't they?)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-14-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would just add a headphone extension cable. Why buy a unit with really good headphone amps and then not use them I'm also not following on why you would park the unit 20' away when most functions are done on the front panel(aren't they?)
Yes, you really need it within arm’s reach. Mine is racked in my desk rack between two patch bays. It comes with stick on feet if you don’t wanna rack it.

Avid have said that future updates (most likely paid for updates I bet) would include Eucon enabling for Carbon.

There are some that have mentioned fan noise. If that’s the reason for keeping it 20’ away, well it really isn’t necessary.

I have to have my ear right up against the unit to hear anything at all. I was concerned when I first got it because I expected a LITTLE fan noise. I even put a tissue up to the vents to see them move just to be sure.

Apparently there have been a few units with some fan noise, but I think they have been rare.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 04-14-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
In certain rare, unusual situations it would be helpful to have the CARBON about 20' from me.
no, nothing to do with fan noise.

it is a long explanation - i wont bore you with the details.

I'd rather just focus on my original question.

so it sounds like it *isn't* possible to use the headphone out on my MacBookPro to monitor ProTools when using Carbon?
based on the one post above.....

thanks for any info about my question.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:55 PM

You can probably create an Aggregate device. I don’t have an AVB interface so don’t know for sure how it presents itself to macOS. If it appears as a Core Audio interface, then you should be able to aggregate it with the inbuilt Mac soundcard.

If it’s purely for monitoring, it shouldn’t pose any issue and would be the easiest way IMO to achieve what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM

Aggregate device means DSP/Hybrid is gone.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:13 PM

Is that right?

Didn’t know that. Interesting to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
In certain rare, unusual situations it would be helpful to have the CARBON about 20' from me.
no, nothing to do with fan noise.

it is a long explanation - i wont bore you with the details.

I'd rather just focus on my original question.

so it sounds like it *isn't* possible to use the headphone out on my MacBookPro to monitor ProTools when using Carbon?
based on the one post above.....

thanks for any info about my question.
Actually you may want to "bore" us a bit further
Given the dearth of info about your system and situation, pretty hard to answer definitively. Like is your laptop the computer that PT is running on ? Or are you wanting to use it as a peripheral/second output device to monitor from ?

While Carbons dual audio midi and sound instance ability allows the use of other audio source inputs while PT is open even with Ultimate... I do not know if you can do specifically what you are talking about but I am guessing an HP extension cable is the simplest solution

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-15-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Actually you may want to "bore" us a bit further
Given the dearth of info about your system and situation, pretty hard to answer definitively. Like is your laptop the computer that PT is running on ? Or are you wanting to use it as a peripheral/second output device ?

While Carbons dual audio midi and sound instance ability allows the use of other audio source inputs while PT is open even with Ultimate... I do not know if you can do specifically what you are talking about but I am guessing an HP extension cable is the simplest solution
yes, of course - Carbon hooked up to MacBookPro.

one computer.

The (rare) situation is that I want to adjust headphone volume on laptop, and have the PT stereo audio come out the MacBookPro headphone output

that is all.

No - a headphone extension cable isn't great. I dont want to run back and forth to adjust headphone output.

yes of course i could simply make a send in PT to my headphone output (on Carbon) and adjust there in PT... but that is separate from my question:

with a Carbon, can there also be an audio output from my MacBookPro headphone out?

thanks.