Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-15-1999, 02:34 AM

Default Certain songs with MIDI won\'t open! What are errors 1 and 2?

I'm getting errors of types 1 and 2, when I try to open Pro Tools songs, with MIDI only.

Weird, if I straight record some MIDI tracks from sequencers (through the MIDI interface, into the modem port) to the Pro Tools Mac, the songs will record and if closed will open again and play, but once the computer has been turned off, these songs will not open again, instead error warning #1 or #2 is displayed. What are errors 1 and 2? How can I make MIDI work?

Please help anyone?!
Thanks a lot! AW
Old 11-15-1999, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Certain songs with MIDI won\'t open! What are errors 1 and 2?

4.3.2 is the answer.
Przemek.
Old 11-16-1999, 12:10 AM

Type 1 and 2 errors are like unimplemented traps. If you got a Type 1 error when opening a song, you will probably never be able to open it.

It's happened to me and this is what caused it. For simplicity sake, let's say that I recorded a bass drum and snare on two tracks of one segment in SVP. Then I recorded an alternate take of bass and snare on a second segment. In my PT song I imported both takes. In the Mix Window I set the MIDI parameter to the "askerisk" setting for that sound module instead of the original MIDI channel that I recorded in. As long as I don't reboot the computer, I can open and close the session as much as I want. When I reboot and open the song, the application is going to look for MIDI data that was sequenced in SVP as "various", because I set the channel to "askerisk", but I didn't import a sequenced song, I imported separate segments. This creates a trap, if the trap is bad enough you can get a "sad bomb".

The only way I've been able to recover from this problem is to open the original song folder and copy the Audio Folder. Open a New Session in PT, name it something then save and close. Drag the copied audio folder onto your new session folder (remove the word "copy") and open the session. Now the fun begins, you have to rebuild the song by hand. I hope you don't have a zillion tracks and regions.

Yes, PT 4.3.2 will help in the future and it's worth trying to use it now, before attempting the nightmare I described above.

You also might want to take a look at Answerbase. It discusses Type 2 errors relating to your problem. Sometimes you can get away with reinstalling SVP. This doesn't work for Type 1.

Doc22

All the best of luck.
Old 11-16-1999, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the help!
So 5.0 will fix it, I guess?
What's SVP stand for?
Thanks a lot, AW
Old 11-16-1999, 07:21 AM

AW,

SVP is Studio Vision Pro. I went back and read your original post and noticed that you didn't mention what software you were using. I assumed it was SVP. Sorry to confuse you.

Doc22
Old 11-16-1999, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help Doc!!

I never saw any mention of SVP or any program, maybe that's the problem, I'm only using 4.3.1 (I beleive) and OMS setup (?)
(and an opcode small interface plugged into the modem port).

So I guess that ProTools software is my only software, is SVP a sequencing program that you lay on top of Pro Tools like E-Magic, etc?

Thanks a lot again! : ) AW
Old 11-16-1999, 05:41 PM

AW,

Yes, SVP is sequencing software made by Opcode. I do my MIDI segments and sequences with it. Although, with the problems Opcode is having, I don't know for how much longer. I'm not much of a MIDI guy and the thought of another steep learning curve with new software (ie, E-Magic, etc.) is not where I want to spend my time.

Do you just have a dedicated Keyboard plugged into your MIDI interface? What does your set-up look like? If you just want to e-mail the info, I'll do my best to help.

Doc
Old 11-17-1999, 01:21 AM

O.K. Thanks a lot! Here's my e-mail address:
[email protected]