Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2002, 04:48 AM

Default How do you change from FAT16 to FAT32??

Hello ProToolers,
I am moving from NT to Win98 and need to change the FAT from my C: drive.
I already used fdisk, delete the partition and created a new partition (a single partition for the whole HD), then using the floppy that came with Win98 format the drive, but when using fdisk again to check what type of partition has been formated still get the FAT16?!?!?!?

Please help me with this nightmare, I already spend 5 hours !!!

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:01 PM

Default Re: How do you change from FAT16 to FAT32??

Going from NT to 98 is going somewhat backwards, but I will assume you understand it and have specific reasons for doing so. You are asking operating system questions which are probably better answered at the OS site (Microsoft). This link helped me understand some of the issues involved:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...tiboot.asp#top

It also had a link to this, which was more to your point:

TechNet Home > Products & Technologies > Windows NT Server > Tips and Tricks >

ChoosingBetweenFileSystems

By Brien M. Posey, MCSE for TechRepublic.com

A few quotes from this are:

"...FAT32 does have limitations. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with any operating system other than Windows 98 and the OSR2 version of Windows 95. However, Windows 2000 will be able to read FAT32 partitions. The other disadvantage is that your disk utilities and antivirus software must be FAT32-aware...that converting to FAT32 is a one-way process. Once you've converted to FAT32, you can't convert the partition back to FAT16...To convert a FAT partition to FAT32 (within Windows 98), simply click Start and go to Program Files, Accessories, System Tools, Drive Converter (FAT32). When you do, you'll see a wizard that will allow you to select the partition you wish to convert and begin the conversion process. Before you convert a partition, however, remember that on older systems or systems with very full drives, this process can take several hours...The above article is courtesy of TechRepublic http://www.techrepublic.com..."

It is also sometimes easier to do some of this stuff using a utility like PartitionMagic.
Old 02-09-2002, 10:06 PM

Default Re: How do you change from FAT16 to FAT32??

You can get Partition Magic now from www.cheapsoftware.com for 10.00 after rebate, or download a free demo version from their website.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]