How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2022, 01:24 PM

Default Apple M1 Pro vs Max

Hi!

Folks where I work are buying new laptops and trying to figure out if it’s worth it to spring for the Max over the Pro chip.

I have a fully tricked out M1 Max MBP and it’s amazing in every respect so I’d love to hear if anyone has experience with the Pro chip specifically.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2022, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Apple M1 Pro vs Max

There have been several benchmarks between the two using real world data and applications. It looks like video is where the biggest gains are made. My M1 Pro outperforms our trash cans and while we haven't fully deployed the Intel Mac Pro rack mounts we have provisioning testing for some apps appears to perform respectably. Tough to tell because the MBP is native and the Pros are HDX. The MBP tracks 64 from either MADI, Dante or Soundgrid and it's plenty fast. I'm running UAD and or SGS plug engines but I can still load up plenty with an entry level MBP with a Pro.

One deciding factor would be if you you need big RAM to run in memory data without swapping. We went for Mac Studios with and Ultra for this (hopefully we'll see them before July...) as we have one app where we need a clips/samples loaded into RAM with significant read speeds.

If the cost is minimal (which depends on your needs) we always go with more. If you can afford them get them. If nothing else for future piece of mind.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:32 AM

The M1 Max brings very little to the table for audio users, when compared to the M1 Pro (if we're talking about the 10-core Pro, not the binned 8-core one on the cheapest 14" macbook pro). The only real advantage is the possibility for 64GB of RAM. The processing power (CPU) will be essentially identical, though.

The M1 Ultra, on the other hand, has double the CPU power of either the Pro or the Max. Whether that's necessary/useful for you, you'll have to decide. By most accounts, the M1 Pro has already excessive power for most audio tasks, even up to ridiculous track & plugin counts.

I'd personally pick up a 10-core Pro if I were in the market right now.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 05-22-2022, 03:52 AM

More is usually a good thing in computer power and RAM. The problem, as GoButtonGuy alluded to, is that a lot of what you pay for is aimed directly at video work.

Huge amounts of GPU power seems to be in the place I would prefer to see CPU or more RAM for £4,000 or more. This is largely wasted on music production, unless you mix with picture too.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:35 AM

Thanks folks! Very helpful.

I am also wondering if anyone has experience running large sessions with VIs using the Pro. Let me know!

Old 05-22-2022, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebosphere View Post
Thanks folks! Very helpful.

I am also wondering if anyone has experience running large sessions with VIs using the Pro. Let me know!

Maybe this will help https://youtu.be/9P3Rc2jFYns

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-22-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebosphere View Post
Hi!

Folks where I work are buying new laptops and trying to figure out if it’s worth it to spring for the Max over the Pro chip.

I have a fully tricked out M1 Max MBP and it’s amazing in every respect so I’d love to hear if anyone has experience with the Pro chip specifically.

TIA!

You know where to find me.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:23 AM

I picked up a Studio Max because I am upgrading from a 32GB iMac (late 2014… love that machine), which I never topped out. I don’t work in video much and felt 64GB seemed to fit my needs for the next few years. I have had it for a month and am pretty pleased the performance so far. It will be more telling when everything is running in native mode. Currently I boot from an external drive for my “Rosetta” environment.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)