Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2020, 03:20 AM

Default Apple M1 Benchmarks

Early benchmarks for Apple’s new M1 chip.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Looks mighty impressive for entry level Macs, especially single core performance. Half as fast again as a Mac Pro 7.1 16 core!
Old 11-17-2020, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Apple M1 Benchmarks

Thanks for that, Dave.
Mighty impressive indeed.
That's a lot of power for the money.
Had it not been for PT not being ready for it, I'd be ordering one right away.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:16 AM

Just not enough memory, although you cannot directly conpare architectures like that. But 16GB is not enough yet, and they still lack USB4/TB4 inless I am mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just not enough memory, although you cannot directly conpare architectures like that. But 16GB is not enough yet, and they still lack USB4/TB4 inless I am mistaken
Yes, limited to 16gb ram, for some reason.
Still, it depends on your needs. For me, using mostly audio tracks, small sessions, 16gb works just fine. Large sessions, lots of sampled VIs and such, you quickly need more.
When I'll be needing next generation USB/TB, I don't know. I guess that is not in the near future.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:27 AM

After last transition (PPC/Intel) it took fourth MP to perfect the design. Just need to be patient. Maybe this time things go faster as they already have the Rosetta technology available, can focus on hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
The M1 based Macs have USB4 with Thunderbolt 3, the Apple development kit machines did not.

—-

These are impressive single core numbers, measuring a big core performance. But remember these synthetic benchmarks give a pretty narrow slice of performance info, and that these big.LITTLE Arm architecture systems have very different big and LITTLE core performance. And the M1 has four big cores. Still the multi core performance is not bad, but I want to see what silicon comes next with more big cores and a different thermal design point, maybe external DRAM?, more PCIe expansion?, and maybe external GPU support? Wether Apple can/would respin an M1 with more than 16GB is a hot question. It might be a thermal goals and cost constraints at the moment, cost maybe more an issue if it’s true the higher end M1 SKU uses LDDDR5 memory. But shows you what focused engineering can do, and that TSMC can fab these pieces of magic at 5nm is a reminder of how broken Intel is.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-17-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The M1 is entry level and not meant to compete with the cheese grater or trash can. Judging from benchmarks coming into the wild there is no reason to think it wouldn't be enough for many users. It's likely to outperform most of the laptops or mini form factor rigs. In any case the swaps are in the nano seconds and not apparent under video use let alone audio. The AArch64 memory model is different than the x86 model. Same with the instruction model. When those are combined along with advances developed in SoC design there can be some pretty impressive performance improvements.

As SoC progresses (not just Apple but Qualcomm, Intel and AMD) the way in which we refer to processors and workloads will change. Specs like clock speed and RAM will be subordinated to throughputs of workloads. That's largely already happened with phones and tablets.

Were there more gigs happening (or any gigs for some) I'd have picked up an Air in the first round. I'd still not use it in production for anything Avid or Adobe. They aren't supporting it directly now so there is no telling what's lurking underneath once it gets loaded up with scores of plugs and tracks, VIs, the works.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:24 PM

A nice M1 review here https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252...pple-m1-tested
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM

And another - (direct quote)

“Apple M1 MacBook Pro Benchmarks Are In And They Are Crazy!”

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...eid=070aa82ed2
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Big thank you for this