Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 AM

Default Why stems not sync with each other, but masterrec is right?

hi I'm using HD Native. I have like 80 tracks as stems for recording. and another 6 5.1 tracks for big stems (signal coming from that 80 tracks), and another 1 5.1 track as Master Final recorded track(signal coming from that 6 5.1 tracks).

When I hit record, beats, drums, instruments sounds right and synced with each other(I'm hearing the Master Final track). After I stop, that 6 5.1 tracks sounds good too. But when I playback that 80 tracks, beats, drums, instruments are slightly missing beat with each other (I can also see this on the waveform).
I suppose this is because when recording, master final track recorded what it gets, but that 80 tracks with that Green "monitoring" button on , their signal is in time but recording to HD is not in sync.

However my Delay Compensation Engine is set to None(not short or long). The problem occured at buffer at 1024 samples. After set back to 512 samples, I can't hear any problem. But my computer is not that fast to always run at 512 for specific reasons.

Why is this happening at 1024 samples?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Why stems not sync with each other, but masterrec is right?

You have a delay from going into a send or some other process dependent on the hardware sample buffer. Are you using any outboard gear? Why not use adc when printing stems? Describe your set up in more detail please.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM

You have a delay from going into a send or some other process dependent on the hardware sample buffer. Are you using any outboard gear? Why not use adc when printing stems?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You have a delay from going into a send or some other process dependent on the hardware sample buffer. Are you using any outboard gear? Why not use adc when printing stems? Describe your set up in more detail please.
Where's ADC? I have set delay compensation engine to short, or max, problem remains.

It is the stems' waveform on harddisk I can see who are missing meets, but while recording, their sound coming from Monitoring are in sync.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 AM

help! Anyone know this?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Smile Re: Why stems not sync with each other, but masterrec is right?

1st off you should be using ADC, I use it all the time, I re-record stems regularly and have no issues at all. That said I'm also now running a fully native system which does not exhibit certain characteristics of TDM systems.

There is an issue I've encountered with both TDM and Native systems, which is in regards to using "Sends" as opposed to "direct outs" to feed your re-record tracks.
In my experience whenever I use sends on my master busses and send that signal into re-record tracks I get all kinds of weird delay issues going on, and its very inconsistent to boot. However by setting the outputs on the master busses to output directly to my re-record stems I never get any delay at all, and this is of course while running ADC.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
1st off you should be using ADC, I use it all the time, I re-record stems regularly and have no issues at all. That said I'm also now running a fully native system which does not exhibit certain characteristics of TDM systems.

There is an issue I've encountered with both TDM and Native systems, which is in regards to using "Sends" as opposed to "direct outs" to feed your re-record tracks.
In my experience whenever I use sends on my master busses and send that signal into re-record tracks I get all kinds of weird delay issues going on, and its very inconsistent to boot. However by setting the outputs on the master busses to output directly to my re-record stems I never get any delay at all, and this is of course while running ADC.
Where's the switch of open and close ADC?

I never used send, it is always direct out. The problem disappears when I set the buffer from 1024 to 512 samples. Why?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM

anyone?