Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Interface for Pro Tools

As our Mbox 3 interfaces cannot work with newer Apple machines (M1), I need to find a replacement for them. I was hoping new Avid Mbox Studio would do the trick, but it has no surround monitoring capacity. Otoh, Carbon is a bit too much and any combination of HDN+HD Interface is also too expensive.
What would be the interface you could recommend for a 5.1 setup for an editing room?
Thanks
Old 12-25-2022, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Interface for Pro Tools

Have you considered a 2nd hand blue DigiDesign 192 to go with HDN?
Old 12-25-2022, 10:58 AM

I would check out the focusrite Scarlett or Clarett interfaces. Very similar to the mbox3
Old 12-25-2022, 11:21 AM

If you have an MBox3 the last thing I'd suggest is sticking your head in the lions mouth of HD Native, Thunderbolt expansion chassis hassles, and possible support problems etc. Totally irregardless of cost, just stay away from DigiLink unless you need HDX or have a pile of DigiLink gear you want compatibility with. HD Native/DigilLink otherwise offers no advantage, and significant potential hassles, over a high quality CoreAudio or ASIO interface.

I'm not clear on exactly what 5.1 monitoring features you want. Are you going to need to change this in future for Atmos?

There are fantastic interfaces from vendors with good support and wide price ranges and capabilities/features, UAD, RME, Apogee, Focusrite, MOTU, etc.

My personal bias is for RME (or UAD). So if it was me I'd maybe start by considering a Fireface UCX II or UFX II (or more realistically for me finding a RME MADI product) but those prices may be more than you want to pay... and the surround monitoring features may be less than you want (although I'm trying to recall what an MBox 3 does and I don't think it's very much).
Old 12-25-2022, 12:55 PM

If your only criteria is 5.1 surround monitoring and everything else is basic enough it's likely to be covered... virtually any compatible interface with about 6+ analog outputs should do the trick. (Maybe go with 8 though as that's a common denomination with interfaces). Like Darryl says.... maybe one day you'll have a desire or project to add some speakers and run 5.1+. Having some more than 8 output or an option to expand with some other box might be reasonable to consider.

If you're not recording and the use scenario is not that complex, I'd probably go with a slightly less expensive make like Focusrite compared to RME. If the number of outputs are right, I don't think the output transformers of various "pro enough" gear will make much difference. That is, you'll hear the sound output about the same. Great preamps etc probably cost more and add to price.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-25-2022, 01:45 PM

I've heard great things about Presonus Quantum ($1K)

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-25-2022, 04:00 PM

I pursued something similar recently and was pretty alarmed how much the feature sets of audio interfaces have regressed over the past 10-15 years. Like something as simple as preamp insert points to patch in a safety limiter for VO/ADR. The Mbox 3 Pro could do it. The 002R could do it. The Avid Omni could do it. RME? Nada. UAD? Nada. Focusrite? Nada.

Or enough AES outputs for a surround monitoring setup. Also, surprisingly nada. I ended up reinstalling an Avid Omni in my rack because of it. You can find them for as little as $400 on the used market, and in many ways they still offer better feature sets for general post workflows than most newer offering, including the more recent stuff by Avid.

I see a lot of Apogee Quartets in editing rooms. Simple interface, 5.1 monitoring support... but I think they are discontinued? They do support Apple Silicon though. For whatever reason, the newer Apogee Symphony Desktop has also regressed, and doesn't support surround sound.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:02 PM

Since it's just for your edit rooms it sounds like you want something that can gang 6 outputs on the monitor knob like the Mbox 3. I believe a lot of the 8 out interfaces can do that now even if they don't offer full surround monitoring features.

You might want to start with what is actually available from your preferred dealer. Some of the better gear is in short supply. Depending on budget I'd recommend RME, Metric Halo and MOTU.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:29 AM

Apogee Quartet.

The Apogee version, NOT the black AVID model!!
Old 12-26-2022, 11:35 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions - a lot of good options there, but I really need a very simple interface, like smurfyou said - to have 6 outputs controllable via a single pot. I don't need more than 2 inputs, and the quality really isn't that important - no serious stuff is ever recorded in the editing room.