Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM

Default Bounce to Disk: Stereo Track and Bounce is 2 Files?

Hey all,
I have recently has to start bouncing some of my guitar tracks because my amp sims take up too much cpu once I have several of them running. So once I have a sound dialed in that I will likely stick with, I have been sending to an empty buss as pre fader and then right clicking on the send and selecting bounce. I then import the bounce on a new playlist in the original track and then deactivate my plugins.

This is working perfectly for me except I can't figure out how to make it work on a stereo track. Most of my guitar tracks are mono and it works fine. However, I have a stereo guitar track (2 pan knobs) because of the fx on the track. When I try to bounce this track, it ends up being 2 files/waveforms... one left and one right. So when I try to drag the bounce from clip list to a new playlist on the original track, it wants to use 2 tracks... 1 left and 1 right.

How can I get the bounce to be stereo, but not take up 2 tracks? I want to bring the bounce in on the original stereo track.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Bounce to Disk: Stereo Track and Bounce is 2 Files?

In the bounce dialog, chose stereo interleaved.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I believe I have tried that and when I drag it back to the same track, it still wants to put a waveform on the one below too.

I will try again tonight and see what happens.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:21 AM

You bounced as multi mono. Not the same thing.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Ok, I did it again and made sure interleaved was checked. When it puts it in the clip list, it says "(stereo)" after the name and I can click and drop down and there is the left and right clip. ... it will be "clipname.L" and "clipname.R"

When I grab the stereo clip and drag it onto the stereo track, it puts the .L one on the original track and the .R one on the track below it.

I don't understand what is happening unless what I think it s stereo track really isn't a stereo track. Pretty sure it is though since I have 2 pan knobs. However, it might had been a mono track until I inserted a guitar plugin on it that made it stereo... or some form of stereo. Could that be why? I just don't get it. I know I have seen stereo tracks where you see the 2 waveforms on the 1 track... that is what I'm after.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:03 PM

OK, may be a dumb question but... you are dropping the bounced files onto a STEREO track in PT (as opposed to 2 adjacent MONO tracks)? you may also want to check your PT session is setup to accept interleaved rather than dual mono for stereo.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post
Ok, I did it again and made sure interleaved was checked. When it puts it in the clip list, it says "(stereo)" after the name and I can click and drop down and there is the left and right clip. ... it will be "clipname.L" and "clipname.R"

When I grab the stereo clip and drag it onto the stereo track, it puts the .L one on the original track and the .R one on the track below it.

I don't understand what is happening unless what I think it s stereo track really isn't a stereo track. Pretty sure it is though since I have 2 pan knobs. However, it might had been a mono track until I inserted a guitar plugin on it that made it stereo... or some form of stereo. Could that be why? I just don't get it. I know I have seen stereo tracks where you see the 2 waveforms on the 1 track... that is what I'm after.

Thanks,
Doug D.
You might try to create a new stereo track and drop the stereo file there but it does sound like you are dropping it into a mono track then it splits (even if the referenced source track is interleaved). You can also drag the file into the Edit window where no tracks are and a new track will generate which if you are dragging a stereo file a stereo track will be created. A stereo track will have a stereo meter, two pan controls and in the edit window two waveforms will appear where just one appears in a mono track. If a mono track and a stereo track are set to the same size setting (medium for example) the stereo track waveforms will seem crammed into the same space as the single mono waveform. It is possible that a mono track with a stereo insert plugin will convert the output to stereo and appear as a stereo track in the Mix window and in the Edit window IO.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 PM

[EDIT: No ignore this, sounds like Bruce has your answer below]

This does not make any sense for lots of reasons, including Pro Tools won't just "spill" over stuff from one track and say place one channel of it on the next track.

If anything I suspect you are in playlist view in the edit window and getting confused by that???

We are well past time for screenshots, at least showing a view of the track you are dragging the file to in the mix window, and the browser view of the file you are dragging to that track (and any other files created when you bounced). make sure the screen shots are as large/legible as possible. Make clear which of the files you are dragging over. if you can capture the weirdness in a screen shot then even better.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 PM

Pro Tools up to 11 has always dealt only with L/R stereo files. 11 now allows interleaved files. In normal operation, ie non-interleaved files, stereo files will be L/R and, when dragged from the Clip List will go L/R on a stereo track or, if dragged to a mono track with an adjacent mono track, will split out to L on one mono track and R on the other mono track. There is, or was a function to split stereo to mono.

And from the Reference Guide:

If the Interleaved option is enabled for the session, or is enabled on import, interleaved files are imported to the session and remain interleaved files. If this option is not enabled, interleaved files are split into multi-mono.
Conversely, split stereo (dual mono) audio files can be automatically imported to stereo tracks. Split stereo audio files must have the channel identifiers “.L” and “.R” in their names (for example, filename.L and filename.R), and the files must be the same length. In Windows, or in Mac/PC Compatibility mode, these files will have a 3-letter file extension appended after the “.L” or “.R” channel identifier.
Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction

Last edited by The Weed; 02-03-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Bruce

Brilliant! Thanks I was completely unaware of that.