Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Exclamation Lost Pro Tools Session Files during File recovery

While partitioning an external hard drive of mine, all of my data was erased. I was able to recover pretty much all of the files but the recovery program gave me back all of my files grouped by file type. The audio files were all together(from multiple sessions), all movie files in one folder, all documents in another etc.

The one thing I cant seem to find AT ALL is all of the .ptf pro tools session files, file backups etc. Obviously without these I cant rebuild any of my sessions. My assumption is that the recovery program didnt exactly know what they were and either didnt recover them or renamed them as some other file type.

I now have a ton of ambiguously named files - some being .rsrc files which I don't even know what to do with. There's also a folder with over 300 .zip files which open into more ambiguously named folders like "XLMC" or "XDAE"

Has anyone encountered such a problem or does anyone know of a resolution to this madness?? Obviously without the PT session files all I have is a mess of unorganized audio files.

I've already learned my lesson of having my sessions in one place so no need for the advice of backing my sessions up in other places please

In advance - Thank You!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Lost Pro Tools Session Files during File recovery

How about the lesson of not partitioning a drive with data on it?
Now you've learned that one too.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Lost Pro Tools Session Files during File recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
How about the lesson of not partitioning a drive with data on it?
Now you've learned that one too.
Well due to tight time constraints I had no choice but to do it with the content on the drive. And the nice thing about Snow Leopard is that you can partition a disk in Disk Utility without blowing off the content. Unfortunately things didnt go as planned but thanks for the helpful response.