Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Default NuGen Audio's VisLM loudness meter

Any one have experience with or thoughts about this meter plug? Seems pro enough, though no Dialog Intelligence, obviously. Wondering if that's still a crucial thing, though.

Greg
Babble-On Recording Studios
Minneapolis
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Re: NuGen Audio's VisLM loudness meter

You should look into this one also:
http://www.vsonics.com/vmeters.php

I've seen an early version and it looks pretty good. Lots of flexibility, lots of meter types.

BTW, I don't think "dialog intelligence" is at all import anymore. It's day has past. Gating based on level, such as recommended in the EBU R128 document, IS important. Vmeters does not have it yet, nor do most others currently on the market, but the devoloper has indicated it is coming in an update. Vmeters seems to have 'most everything else. The version I saw matched LKFS readings exactly to my LM5D and LM100. I have not checked the latest version, though. I will soon.

ps, I haven't tried nugenaudio's, I just wanted to point out a new option
Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM

VSonics look pretty cool. the Price is right thats for sure. I was just looking at the dolby MM2 its $900 or $750 On Ebay. I'm not sure what this package has that the dolby does but I think it will work for my needs.

kd
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM

would you guys be confident laying down a dolby E stream with a dial norm set by one of these meters? do they match exactly?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM

Hi
Before downloading the demo, 1 question: can the VSonics be configured to show 1 decimal after the numerical loudness readout? I think it's important when using it in a mix situation.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM

I have read the ATSC A85 loudness standard that is now law in US and don't recall any mention of dialogue intelligence. only -24lkfs +/-2 infinite. It seems in the Us at least dolby is not the king of broadcast loudness meters anymore

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
You should look into this one also:
http://www.vsonics.com/vmeters.php

I've seen an early version and it looks pretty good. Lots of flexibility, lots of meter types.

BTW, I don't think "dialog intelligence" is at all import anymore. It's day has past. Gating based on level, such as recommended in the EBU R128 document, IS important. Vmeters does not have it yet, nor do most others currently on the market, but the devoloper has indicated it is coming in an update. Vmeters seems to have 'most everything else. The version I saw matched LKFS readings exactly to my LM5D and LM100. I have not checked the latest version, though. I will soon.

ps, I haven't tried nugenaudio's, I just wanted to point out a new option
This looks sweet! and the price is awesome.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 AM

I can vouch for the Nugen version - it rocks and does much more (has european flavours too) than the other one, it also has much planned in the pipeline - such as offline file reading. It does lots of nice fancy graphing too - that will soon follow the PT timeline

Hi Tom - dialnorm is dead. Sky specs will be LKFS -23 (new version about to be published soon) as per ploud's recommendation. So that will apply to Nat Geo in the UK too as they TX on that platform.

Yes I would trust them for a dolby E layback, just as I trust Neyrinck with his encode and decode. Good software is great!

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
would you guys be confident laying down a dolby E stream with a dial norm set by one of these meters? do they match exactly?
I agree with neclear that it is handy to have tenths of a db, something I enjoy with LM5D, something that LM100 does not show. (LM100 rounds up or down for display, although it seems to process internally with good precision.) The pre-release version of Vmeters returned very correct loudness readings but before commenting further I need to check the release version. I have not been able to do that yet but I expect to in a day or two. VMeters has a large number of useful presets for you Europeans as well as us thugs, and you can tweak most parameters, such as attach/release, sample peak vs. inter-sample peak, pre-meter weighting (none, A, M, ITU-R BS.1770), and more. There is some sort of logging capability, but I don't know if it is loudness or only peaks. As I said, I need to actually get my hands on the release version, so you guys will be ahead of me on that front.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 AM

can it read files - or do you have to play your mix through?

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com