Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 AM

Default Protools 11 boots, but hangs on opening a session.

Protools 11 was working fine, but suddenly I can not open any session without crashing immediately, occasionally it opens a session, but than it is sluggish and not reacting to any input. Off course reinstalling, even went back to an image without protools 11 from a month ago and reinstalled Protools 11, didn't work. But hear this: after booting from an external drive and than reboot from my internal HD solved the problem. Protools works fine again. It happened to me twice now, of course the second time I immediately booted from external and indeed after that Protools was fine again. I don't think it's my computer, because nothing else than P11 has it. P10 was functioning normal all the time.

Does anybody recognize this?
If not than maybe this thread saves someone from reinstall his complete setup, simply boot first from another drive.

cheers
Hugo.K
Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Protools 11 boots, but hangs on opening a session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo.K View Post
Protools 11 was working fine, but suddenly I can not open any session without crashing immediately, occasionally it opens a session, but than it is sluggish and not reacting to any input. Off course reinstalling, even went back to an image without protools 11 from a month ago and reinstalled Protools 11, didn't work. But hear this: after booting from an external drive and than reboot from my internal HD solved the problem. Protools works fine again. It happened to me twice now, of course the second time I immediately booted from external and indeed after that Protools was fine again. I don't think it's my computer, because nothing else than P11 has it. P10 was functioning normal all the time.

Does anybody recognize this?
If not than maybe this thread saves someone from reinstall his complete setup, simply boot first from another drive.

cheers
Hugo.K
First off you need to read this : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

And then post back the info needed to try and help you. Another thing is PT should NEVER be booted from an external drive no matter what you experience. You should record to a second drive which nned to be a 7200rpm or more and NO green blue or passport drives.

Well look that iver and get back to us with the correct way of using the forum

Thank you
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 AM

Dear Chris,

Can you be more specific about what I did wrong? I've included all the information wanted in my profile.
Second:
PT is installed on my internal drive, I'm working only from my internal drive, but than the problem occurred. The problem was resolved by booting once from an external drive and than reboot from the internal drive. I'm not booting PT from an external drive. I mentioned this in the beginning of my post, I thought this was clear, the second time I mentioned it. quote "But hear this: after booting from an external drive and than reboot from my internal HD solved the problem"
I'm recording to an external firewire drive. Since I'm working with PT for more than a decade. I'm not a newby.

Kind regards
Hugo

Protools 11
iMac late 2012 3.4 GHz i7 16GB Ram
3TB Fusion Drive
Mavericks 10.9.3
Metric Halo ULN2 Expanded - connected with thunderbolt to FW800 adapter to cable FW800/FW400
Old 11-09-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Dear Chris,

Can you be more specific about what I did wrong? I've included all the information wanted in my profile.
Second:
PT is installed on my internal drive, I'm working only from my internal drive, but than the problem occurred. The problem was resolved by booting once from an external drive and than reboot from the internal drive. I'm not booting PT from an external drive. I mentioned this in the beginning of my post, I thought this was clear, the second time I mentioned it. quote "But hear this: after booting from an external drive and than reboot from my internal HD solved the problem"
I'm recording to an external firewire drive. Since I'm working with PT for more than a decade. I'm not a newby.

Kind regards
Hugo
Just because your system profile shows in your user profile here doesn't mean we automatically see it in a post. You can always put it in your sig file which will show in every post (assuming you have a sig file included in every post). Your first post here didn't have any system info that would help us.

But back to your problem. It sounds like you're having a problem with your internal drive. Do a permissions repair first and then do a verify disk. You may well find verify disk will show errors that you have to run repair disk on. And you can't do that when booted from the internal drive. That's probably why when you booted the computer from an external drive (what did you use - a thumb drive on a USB port?) things ran okay. If you indeed booted from a USB thumb drive how did you make that drive bootable?

Oh yeah - Snow Leopard is NOT OSX 10.8.4; last SL was 10.6.8. What you have is Mountain Lion OSX 10.8.4

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 AM

Hi Jack,

Mm I find it a bit confusing that your system profile doesn't show in the posts. What is the system profile for than? ok ok... I'll stop. I'll improve my signature better. For example I'll change my system to Mountain Lion Sorry!

Anyhow Thanks for your reply!

A few things:

- my iMac has a Fusiondrive 3TB (I'll add this to my signature, you're right about that) this drive is divided in two partitions HD-system and a Data partition. (on a Fusiondrive, you're allowed to make one extra partition)
- I've made for safety reasons a bootable copy of my internal HD-system-drive to an external drive, with CCC (carbon copy cloner).
- the first time the problem occurred was after cloning. The problem was solved by booting once from the external drive.
- Everything was fine for a few weeks, so I thought the problem was caused by CCC. But than without changing anything or any other obvious cause the problem reoccurred. The problem was also fixed again by booting once from the external drive and than reboot from my internal drive.
- what is remarkable, that it only affects PT11. All other applications including PT10 don't have this problem.

So maybe it is a specific problem from PT11 in combination with the Fusiondrive of an iMac. That would be interesting. And maybe helpfull for Avid and other users.

Protools 11
3TB Fusion Drive
Mavericks 10.9.3
Metric Halo ULN2 Expanded - connected with thunderbolt to FW800 adapter to cable FW800/FW400
Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Hi Jack,

Mm I find it a bit confusing that your system profile doesn't show in the posts. What is the system profile for than? ok ok... I'll stop. I'll improve my signature better. For example I'll change my system to Mountain Lion Sorry!

Anyhow Thanks for your reply!

A few things:

- my iMac has a Fusiondrive 3TB (I'll add this to my signature, you're right about that) this drive is divided in two partitions HD-system and a Data partition. (on a Fusiondrive, you're allowed to make one extra partition)
- I've made for safety reasons a bootable copy of my internal HD-system-drive to an external drive, with CCC (carbon copy cloner).
- the first time the problem occurred was after cloning. The problem was solved by booting once from the external drive.
- Everything was fine for a few weeks, so I thought the problem was caused by CCC. But than without changing anything or any other obvious cause the problem reoccurred. The problem was also fixed again by booting once from the external drive and than reboot from my internal drive.
- what is remarkable, that it only affects PT11. All other applications including PT10 don't have this problem.

So maybe it is a specific problem from PT11 in combination with the Fusiondrive of an iMac. That would be interesting. And maybe helpfull for Avid and other users.
Like I said you may be having a problem with your internal drive. Do the repair permissions and then verify the drive and see if that puts up any errors. Remember with a Fusion drive you as the end user only have access (without messing around in Terminal) to the spinning part of the drive as OSX takes care of what goes where. Just because you did another partition to the Fusion drive doesn't mean you can use it to record to in PT - you still need a separate dedicated non-green drive.

That being said it could well be a problem with the combo of PT11 and the Fusion drive.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM

Hi Jack,

I'm not recording to my internal drive, the Data part (spinning part) of my Fusiondrive is to stock all my samples, and samples of my plugins. That is more than 2TB. I made the first System-partition (including the SSD) only 500GB . So if my system crashed I would not have to reinstall all the samples. That would take half a day.
I'm recording to an external LaCie firewire drive, never had any problems with that drive.
And again, PT10 worked as a breeze, the problem occurred after installing PT11 and is exclusively for PT11. When PT11 is suffering from this startup-problem, I can still use PT10 without any issues.

Protools 11
3TB Fusion Drive
Mavericks 10.9.3
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Jack,

I'm not recording to my internal drive, the Data part (spinning part) of my Fusiondrive is to stock all my samples, and samples of my plugins. That is more than 2TB. I made the first System-partition (including the SSD) only 500GB . So if my system crashed I would not have to reinstall all the samples. That would take half a day.
I'm recording to an external LaCie firewire drive, never had any problems with that drive.
And again, PT10 worked as a breeze, the problem occurred after installing PT11 and is exclusively for PT11. When PT11 is suffering from this startup-problem, I can still use PT10 without any issues.
I don't know if you have to restore/reinstall the system that it wouldn't delete your partition. Thing is with the Fusion drive you have no real control over where anything goes - OSX takes care of that. It moves things around depending on how often they get used so data might not be in the same place twice. You still only have one drive providing both samples and your system operation and that's generally not a good idea for performance. Best to have separate physical drives, not partitions on the same drive. Just because you got lucky with it working on PT 10 doesn't mean it'll work as well in PT11 as you are finding out.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Dear Musicman,

I'm not doing anything extraordinary here, my samples is just a bunch of data, nothing complicated or conflicting here.

That I've been working with PT10 and any other application for almost a year without experiencing any serious problems is all just luck? Ok yeah...

Protools 11
3TB Fusion Drive
Mavericks 10.9.3
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Hi Hugo, it could be a plugin issue or similar.

Since PT is crashing, it should be writing a crash report which might help you get to the bottom of the issue.
You can get to the crash report directory in Finder by choosing Go To Folder from the Go menu, then typing ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.
Sort by date modified and open the most recent ProTools report.

You'll see a line saying "Crashed Thread:" and a number. Note the number and scroll down to the offending thread. You may be able to figure out what's causing the crash by looking through the weird report. If you can't, post the contents of the thread here. Only that thread though.