Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-01-2021, 09:08 PM

Default Missing Files

Audio File(s) are missing...

I have dragged and dropped them into several different tracks on a session, then saved and closed Pro Tools numerous times. As soon as I open that session, I am greeted with this message.

This is really not what I expected from the "industry standard"
Old 12-02-2021, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Missing Files

Hi and welcome to the forums.
First of all, which version of Pro Tools are you using?

Second, check to see that you have the option to automatically copy files on import selected.

You can also read through the Pro Tools Reference Guide for help with importing audio files. See Chapter 21 for information.

If that doesn't help, give us a little more information about how you are importing these files, like from where, to where and we will have a better shot at helping you out.

System Details
Old 12-02-2021, 07:09 AM

Good advice above, but here's a little more:
1-even with the preference set to automatically copy files on import, I have still had this issue once or twice.
2-one method to help avoid this is to(BEFORE importing/dragging into the session), copy the files into the session folder and import/drag from there. Doing this means that you(and the session) know exactly where the audio came from.

Its up to you whether you drop the files in the main session folder or into the sessions' Audio Files folder as either works(a really full Audio Files folder can make it hard to locate a few files for import). Using the Import>Audio Files method is generally safer than dragging files from other locations(especially if you are dragging from an external drive that will be disconnected)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-02-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Hi and welcome to the forums.
First of all, which version of Pro Tools are you using?

Second, check to see that you have the option to automatically copy files on import selected.

You can also read through the Pro Tools Reference Guide for help with importing audio files. See Chapter 21 for information.

If that doesn't help, give us a little more information about how you are importing these files, like from where, to where and we will have a better shot at helping you out.
Thank you @junkgear

For any other curious minds out there, the feature mentioned above can be found by navigating to:

Setup > Preferences

Then by clicking the "Processing" tab

You'll find the option to "Automatically Copy Files on Import" there.

Honestly, a box that seems like it should already be clicked by default.

Regardless, thank you all for the help!

(I switched to PC and couldn't use Logic anymore so... here I am)