How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2021, 10:20 PM

Default Monterey Compatibility

Good evening,

Thank you all for getting me started with the Komplete Kontrol keyboard, this thing and I, are going to get along very well.

I recently upgraded to Monterey and moved everything to an external SSD (session wise) but I left the Pro Tools folder from the Documents in my Mac. I attached an image of where Pro Tools crashes during login. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 00.06.04.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 11-05-2021, 12:30 AM

Default Re: ⚠️ Monterey Compatibility

As you found out, Monterey is not yet supported
Old 11-05-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Good evening,

Thank you all for getting me started with the Komplete Kontrol keyboard, this thing and I, are going to get along very well.

I recently upgraded to Monterey and moved everything to an external SSD (session wise) but I left the Pro Tools folder from the Documents in my Mac. I attached an image of where Pro Tools crashes during login. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Some have if working. See here for example.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...st-impressions

Try trashing preferences and/or removing the plugins from the folder and seeing what happens.

I had a issue recently where the Phoenix II plugin caused my system to hand on the screen similar to yours and when I reemoved/downgraded it Pro Tools runs fine.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-05-2021, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Some have if working.
Oh yes, PT works just fine on Rosetta, but 3rd party plugins is the problem here.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:21 AM

On my test system, I've kind of got it working, however, using Izotope RX9+ plugins via Audiosuite, takes out Pro Tools Ultimate (2021.10) Note, this is on Intel hardware with Monterey.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 11-05-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
On my test system, I've kind of got it working, however, using Izotope RX9+ plugins via Audiosuite, takes out Pro Tools Ultimate (2021.10) Note, this is on Intel hardware with Monterey.
Intel should be easier. I have a test system on M1 and while PT works nicely plugins are hit and miss.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Good evening,

Thanks
Bad idea.. Monterey will not be supported until early next year at the earliest.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-05-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Bad idea.. Monterey will not be supported until early next year at the earliest.
Well, let's see.

Historically, since PT went to the year.month version numbering, there have been on average five updates per year. So far 2021 has only seen four. There may be 2021.12 coming, but of course, that is just an assumption.

There has been a 2018.12 and 2019.12 and 2020.12 so why not 2021.12 (just a rhetorical question)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Good evening,

Thanks
The whole "session drive" thing is no longer really a thing. Modern internal SSDs, even when used for OS, applications and data, are so fast that using an external drive is unnecessary and actually presents additional risk, given that it relies on a controller and port and cable and external device. Even though Avid still recommend it, there is no longer any need. In the case of Monterey, it's an extra-bad idea, because Monterey currently has some problems with USB ports/hubs/drives. It may or may not affect you and your particular hardware setup, but it is an extra problem which could be avoided by using your internal drive.

Of course, if you are running out of space on your internal drive, none of this helps at all.

Dominic
Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
The whole "session drive" thing is no longer really a thing.
^^ what he said.

This test machine of mine, a fully loaded M1 mac mini, has throughput of 3 GIGS per second. Back in the time of dedicated session drives and round-robin allocation transfer rates were sub 100 MEGS.