Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-31-2021, 01:35 AM

Default 5.1 Meter

I've setup L R C LFE LS RS in IO (Output)
In the IO (Bus) it creates L C R Ls Rs LFE

In my Mixbus I have the Waves Dorrough wich shows L R C but the Protools 5.1 Meter shows L C R.

I there a way the align the meters or to change the order in the IO Bus? Is it relevant at all?

And when exporting will my 5.1 file be....

1 L
2 R
3 C
4 LFE
5 Ls
6 Rs

??? or LCR
Old 10-31-2021, 04:11 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Meter

Standard protocol as I understand it is:
1 L.
2 C.
3 R.
4. Ls.
5. Rs.
6. LFE
Old 10-31-2021, 06:52 AM

yes,

but I went to a local cinema where the Dolby processor was decoding (and in PT one can set it to SMPTE/TU) 1L 2R 3C 4LFE 5LS 6Rs

What I don't get is, why in the Bus IO there's no possibility to change it. It's always LCR (and also the 5.1 Master meter)
Old 10-31-2021, 09:19 AM

this is a long running issue with Pro Tools. as you may be aware, there are (at least) two 5.1 surround channel ordering conventions:

Film: L C R Ls Rs LFE
SMPTE: L R C LFE Ls Rs

as you might expect, the Film industry uses the Film standard, the TV industry uses the SMPTE standard.

Pro Tools (internally) only uses the Film channel ordering, for all of the PT GUI elements (meters, waveforms, etc...). you can have your PT 5.1 outputs in any order you wish, but the PT GUI will only display the Film order.

when bouncing/exporting, regardless of what order your bus/outputs are set, the bounced/exported interleaved WAV will be Film ordered. Fortunately this usually is not a problem, as the Broadcast WAV spec contains MetaData that identifies the channel names, and this data is understood by most modern video editorial systems (Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, etc...) so the channels are lined up correctly when imported back into the video edit.

i understand that Avid had to choose a standard and went with the Film order.
one might ask: shouldn't the PT GUI just follow the actual ordering of the bus/output?
to that i say: what if you pushed a single 5.1 track out 2 different bus/outputs with 2 different orders? what would you then expect to see on the meters/waveforms?

it would be nice if there were a PT preference where we could set the 5.1 order for the GUI. if you are always working in the TV world (like me) you could have the GUI set to SMPTE.

note: there is a preference in the PT i/o page where you can set the default order of 5.1 paths. this only affects the ordering of newly created 5.1 bus/outputs. this has no effect on the GUI elements.

hope this makes sense.

Last edited by devinemke; 10-31-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:31 AM

I don't know who has brainwashed me, but to me it is perfectly logical that on hardware setup side (I use Apogee Symphony mkII with 2x6 card) the outputs are in "pairs" (as in L/R, C/LFE, Ls/Rs) but I want to see the meters in PT always in LCR-surround-sub. Somehow it makes my life easier.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:26 AM

thank you guys so much for the answers.
I thought I was nuts... so I identified the problem correctly... it's just not my daily business, so I was in doubt
Old 10-31-2021, 11:35 AM

There is a window in Logic which allows you to pick channel designations via a simple drop-down list. When I ran into channel mismatches last week it took me 30 seconds to right the ship. Sensical. This has been a frustration with our post engineers for a long time.
Old 10-31-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinemke View Post
this is a long running issue with Pro Tools. as you may be aware, there are (at least) two 5.1 surround channel ordering conventions:

Film: L C R Ls Rs LFE
SMPTE: L R C LFE Ls Rs

as you might expect, the Film industry uses the Film standard, the TV industry uses the SMPTE standard.

This is one of the reasons why you NEVER deliver 5.1 interleaved files, always separate, discrete, clearly labeled files for each channel. An interleaved 5.1 file will almost certainly be played out the wrong channels somewhere down the chain.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
This is one of the reasons why you NEVER deliver 5.1 interleaved files, always separate, discrete, clearly labeled files for each channel. An interleaved 5.1 file will almost certainly be played out the wrong channels somewhere down the chain.

this is interesting - in music we get more and more interleaved stereo tracks and I also hate getting 100 mono tracks of 50 stereo tracks. But in 5.1 it perfectly makes sense
Old 11-01-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
There is a window in Logic which allows you to pick channel designations via a simple drop-down list. When I ran into channel mismatches last week it took me 30 seconds to right the ship. Sensical. This has been a frustration with our post engineers for a long time.
yes, I was searching for such an option in PT