Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 10:12 AM

Default Home-Studio Ideas for Entrepreneurs.

Man, i ain't an entrepreneur outside of making music... in fact i'm not even sure how to spell entrepreneur. But, i have some ideas i reckon someone can make some $$ off of ('cause i'd buy them!).

This thread is for putting your ideas for home-studio products so we can all get inspired, and hopefully some enterprising person will go make 'em.

1. A lead-lined bag that you slip over your monitor while recording. This way single-coil pickups and other stuff won't buzz quite so much.

2. Extra long Apple cables so you could put the G4 in a different room, but have the keyboard and monitor where you are.

3. Or... a soft foamy bag you could slip over the G4. (i guess that would make it hot...)

4. A collapsable/portable vocal booth.

anyone else??

peace,

t.
Old 09-21-2001, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Home-Studio Ideas for Entrepreneurs.

1. I always turn my monitor off just when I'm about to record and leave the mouse pointer right on the play button on the transport and click it when I'm ready to go...talk about workarounds.

2. For sure

3. Pillows?

4. I use my closet...wall to wall egg cartons and blankets...works pretty well, but a collapsable booth would be nice.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:19 PM

1. I think turning the monitor off temporarily would be a lot easier than slipping a bag over it. However, I'd like to see a footswitch controller for the monitor on/off switch (other than a power strip), so I can turn it off or on while holding my guitar.

2. I have a USB extender and a video extender on my G4 right now. The G4 is in a closet and my keyboard/mouse and monitor are in the main room. There have been powered systems for non-USB keyboards and monitors for years which can extend these systems 50 or more feet. I don't know if there is a combination USB/video extender that would work beyond 6 ft or so, however. That WOULD be a valuable product.

3. I think the heat would be a MAJOR problem with a G4 "bag". There are silencing enclosures available now that have their own ventilation. I think they start at around $1000 or so.

4. Auralex makes the "Max-Wall" which can easily be moved about for a portable vocal booth. There are several other companies which make semi-portable vocal booths or isolation areas that can be moved about or torn down. You see them in the back of the trade mags every month. Those aren't cheap, however. I think they start at around $1200 and go up VERY quickly. I know of one company that sells it's sound-proof DOOR for $2700.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:18 AM

For recording guitar, I use a wireless keyboard (Macally, iWebKey). It has play/rec/record/stop/FF/Rew buttons on top (I programmed it) and a small pointing device. That way i just go 10 feet away, press record, record the guitar and than press stop. You can even use you existing keyboard at the same time as the iWebKey.

I think Digi001 has a punchin/punchout footswitch jack that you can use.