Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Audio Suite Does Process Handles??

Hi

I am mixing audio for tv and quite often want to use audiosuite to do a HPF or something that doesn't really warrant a new track and insert.

The problem is that when I process the audio, the handles (audio either side of the region boundaries) disappear. This means that I can't then trim more of the audio in if necessary (for example when a word is just clipped off). Each region in my timeline is a separate audio file, so is there a way of processing the whole audio file not just the visible part?

Many thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Audio Suite Does Process Handles??

When Audiosuite processes a region, it creates a NEW region & audio file which no longer use the audio that your original region was referring to. The new region/audio file has its own start/end, that's why the handles are gone. There's nothing more to trim.

To keep your regions intact you would have to use a TDM/RTAS plugin (which you can insert on the same track, no need for another track)

Good luck
Steve
Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 AM

Create your own handles by selecting the intended region with excess on each end of the target region.

John-
Old 05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

This has been on our Wish List for awhile now. For now all we have are workarounds.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM

I want this too please
Old 05-23-2008, 07:48 PM

This would also be great for situations where you need a crossfade between an AS processed region and an adjacent region. I've run into this situation many times...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 PM

Honestly, if I feel I am going to do alot AS processing, I create a duplicate track and do my AS there, if i feel I need something else out of the track I have it, untouched and easy access, with handles.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
This would also be great for situations where you need a crossfade between an AS processed region and an adjacent region. I've run into this situation many times...
Select a region that extends beyond what you need.
Process.
Create cross fades.*
Done.

* If you don’t move the adjacent regions’ boundaries “inwards” (into the processed region) prior to creating the fades, PT will warn you that there isn’t enough audio material available to cover the cross-fade and will ask whether you want to move the fade’s boundaries. Answer “OK” and move on. After a few times, it becomes second nature and one learns to control the definition of the initial region to allow for the forced fade move.

I’m not discounting users’ need for handles — but it isn’t the “show-stopper” it may seem to be to some.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I’m not discounting users’ need for handles — but it isn’t the “show-stopper” it may seem to be to some.
Perhaps not in music-land, but for post this would be an essential feature (expecially for dialogue editors). Unlike music where you have a vocal track, bass track, etc., in a post session there are dozens of regions on each track that come from completely different sources and require lots of individual attention. Otherwise, we would need hundreds of tracks just for dialogue. Imagine a really, really long song with a ton of vocals where each region was recorded on a different day in a different location, sometimes outside or next to a generator, or with a plane flying overhead.

More importantly, each clip has a set handle length that comes from the Avid or Final Cut Pro audio sequence. These handles are essential for smoothing out every cut and transition and for finding bits of empty air to fill in over gaps and unwanted noises.

Now, if we want to do a simple Audiosuite process like Gain or HPF to at least roughly match other clips we have to use a workaround to keep our crucial handles. It may seem easy to copy onto another track or pull out handles before you AS, but try doing this fifty times a day and you'll see why post-folks have been begging for this feature for years.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Pascal, have you considered (or even explored) the added functionality afforded by something like QuicKeys? Whenever I’m faced with a task that I know will be painfully repetitive (i.e. needed more than, say, a dozen times), I stop and consider devising a custom QuicKeys solution, triggered by a shortcut of my choice.

I’m not claiming to be sane, but so far I managed to stay out of the papers.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)