Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 01:37 PM

Default Maybe the 002 just needs a different name!

002 does tend to sound like it's a "newer & better" version of the 001. While this is not really true, the name does suggest that, which in turn de-values the 001 - and may have something to do with what's pissing everyone off.

As Digi stated, they're simply adding another product to the line-up. And since it's clearly a "different" type of product, (control surface and all) maybe it should have new name to go with it that doesn't connect it with the 001.

Sort of like a G4 and an iMac - similar, yet different.

If we are ever going to have a 002, maybe it would make more since that it would simply be a updated, rackmount version of the 001. (Complete with a upgrade offer for the first three months)

In the meantime, and before the official release, how about calling the 002 (you can say it was really just the beta title) the..... "Control|8 LE" or simply "Control|8"

This will allow 001 users to continue thinking there still may be 002 on the horizon - weather there is or not ???

Just my thought for the day... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS: This might serve well in keeping 001 sales more alive - if that's what you want. Nobody wants to fell like they're buying a out dated model of something.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Maybe the 002 just needs a different name!

I dunno, I really like 'Tonka 002' [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You actually make a good point though, I think the '002' does make it sounds like it's supposed to be an upgrade over the 001. And in comparison, the mBox wasn't the '000.5' I have to agree that a different name may have saved digi some face on this one.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:13 PM

Hey, very good point!

I also think it´s the name that is confusing me ´cause it really sounds like the "next" 001 to me.
OK, it is a kind of new product of the PT LE series but when I ever thought of a 002 it would have been a rackmount unit with firewire, eight real good pres (focusrite?), better converters, TWO(!) ADAT I/Os, S/PDIF I/O, two MIDI I/Os, PT with 48 tracks, SMPTE and an onbord chip to process the mixer (like on the 001 card).
That was my dream 002.

Perhaps Digi will listen.
... but what should they call it??? 001,5???

OK, I´ll better get off, make some music.

Greets

Markus
Old 07-19-2002, 02:19 PM

Quote:
And in comparison, the mBox wasn't the '000.5'
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Slim, I like that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'll go one more, BluesBox = 2x Focusrite mic pres...001 = hmmm, eight (?)...whatever...

Just kidding...

Old 07-19-2002, 02:39 PM

dang this forum is addicting.. i need to get back to work [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Hey, very good point!

I also think it´s the name that is confusing me ´cause it really sounds like the "next" 001 to me.
OK, it is a kind of new product of the PT LE series but when I ever thought of a 002 it would have been a rackmount unit with firewire, eight real good pres (focusrite?), better converters,
TWO(!) ADAT I/Os, S/PDIF I/O, two MIDI I/Os, PT with 48 tracks, SMPTE and an onbord chip to process the mixer (like on the 001 card).
That was my dream 002.

Perhaps Digi will listen.
... but what should they call it??? 001,5???

OK, I´ll better get off, make some music.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">O.K. Here is a step-by-step to Digi's "saving face".

Come out with another unit called the 001FW.

This unit is a 96K rack or footed FW interface w/ the new LE soft. It has better pre's and a couple of the 001 features. etc.. If there is not enough power in the FW lines to drive it then a bonus, in addition to the AC chord, would be a battery pack so it is portable. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

then, you can keep the 002 name on the 002.

Well, what d/ya think?
Then users could add on with fader peripherals etc...

Yes, that's it. That is the greatest idea on the face of this monitor! I can't believe I thought of it and you all are jealous! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

bye.
D
Old 07-19-2002, 02:41 PM

O'crap... I forgott the most important part.
It costs $1000.00!

(regular 001 now has a retail of $750 in my envisioned world)

bye again.
D
Old 07-19-2002, 05:56 PM

How about renaming it:

The super-digi-me-do number 00247!

They should've called the M-Box the 003 - imagine the mayhem on the DUC in anticipation for the 002.

Nocturnal