Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2003, 03:41 PM

Default my new allen machine

so i bought everything off the list exaclty as it says (i even got two monitors! cant wait to see what that is like.. although now i just read something saying i need an adapter? crap) ..

.. my guy just assembled it for me so im gonna go pick it up in about an hour or so... then bring it over to the studio and install pro tools and all..

anything i should know? wish me luck..

the computer guy said it was a bit of a bitch to put together and he "has some stuff to show me" so im a bit worried... he mentioned something about the power supply supposed to be horizontal and dosnt fit in the case right and he had to put it in upside down or something?? .. lets see.

anyway.. here goes nothing.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: my new allen machine

oh well.. usless.. dosent work at all

first problem was that the motherboard didnt fit in the case with the supplied insulator/spacers.. if you install them then all the ports intehback wont fit...

then the powersupply.. he said it appeared to go in upside down cause the fan is facing down now towards the motherboard, if he put it in the right way, the fan would be 1/2 cm away from teh top of the case. defeating its purpose

.. anyway.. so we had to put the powersupply in upside down and put the motherboard in flat against the case.. turned it on. it went for about 2 seconds.. shut off.

figured there was a short.. took out hte motherboard moved it around and around put it back in.. try again... 2 seconds shut off

took out the board.. figured it had to be the board was shorting on the case.. started it up.. loud pop and faint smell coming from the soundcard...

took it out.

put motherboard back in. put in new soundcard .. started it up. went two seconds and shut off.

took out sound card took out processor started it up.. ran fine... so i guess that means my processor is just no good? wow thats just great since i cant return it (more than 7 days now i guess, not only that.. but have some serious sessions next week no time if im gonna spend 1000 bucks on a computer i need it now when i need it)

(before he decided its probably the processor he tried some things with the jumper settings.. something about frequency? im a working musician i dont know computers)

so i figure i guess i gotta find a new proccesor tommorow at best buy (thats gonna be cheap.. sarcasm) .. also ill pick upa new video card cause .. i mean. lets get real... its broken im sure.. i just wont open it. ill give the ohter one a try if it works i can return the new one... also its not like im gonna be able to return the broken one to new egg..

so.. any help? suggestions? pity at least.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hank hill:
oh well.. usless.. dosent work at all

first problem was that the motherboard didnt fit in the case with the supplied insulator/spacers.. if you install them then all the ports intehback wont fit...

then the powersupply.. he said it appeared to go in upside down cause the fan is facing down now towards the motherboard, if he put it in the right way, the fan would be 1/2 cm away from teh top of the case. defeating its purpose

.. anyway.. so we had to put the powersupply in upside down and put the motherboard in flat against the case.. turned it on. it went for about 2 seconds.. shut off.

figured there was a short.. took out hte motherboard moved it around and around put it back in.. try again... 2 seconds shut off

took out the board.. figured it had to be the board was shorting on the case.. started it up.. loud pop and faint smell coming from the soundcard...

took it out.

put motherboard back in. put in new soundcard .. started it up. went two seconds and shut off.

took out sound card took out processor started it up.. ran fine... so i guess that means my processor is just no good? wow thats just great since i cant return it (more than 7 days now i guess, not only that.. but have some serious sessions next week no time if im gonna spend 1000 bucks on a computer i need it now when i need it)

(before he decided its probably the processor he tried some things with the jumper settings.. something about frequency? im a working musician i dont know computers)

so i figure i guess i gotta find a new proccesor tommorow at best buy (thats gonna be cheap.. sarcasm) .. also ill pick upa new video card cause .. i mean. lets get real... its broken im sure.. i just wont open it. ill give the ohter one a try if it works i can return the new one... also its not like im gonna be able to return the broken one to new egg..

so.. any help? suggestions? pity at least.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">don't the people puting your machine together guarantee their work
Old 01-27-2003, 08:05 PM

i bought all the parts at new egg.. begining for janurary.. they only allow you to return a cpu for seven days..

the guy building it builds computers full time but he did this as a favor at his house.. i dont expect him to replace the cpu, i mean.. it was probably defective from new egg...

i dont know guys.. im just... i just dont know... i guess ill just keep transporting my computer back and fourth from my house to my studio everday and wait to save up the money to buy a new video card and cpu.. what makes me sick to my stomach is what if there was something else wrong? whos to say that if something else wasnt wrong and we plug in a new cpu it dosent blow that one out to?? down another 150 bucks.. 2 more and at the price of a g4 or carllion or something.. thats all i wanted..t o be able to start it up and record.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hank hill:
i bought all the parts at new egg.. begining for janurary.. they only allow you to return a cpu for seven days..

the guy building it builds computers full time but he did this as a favor at his house.. i dont expect him to replace the cpu, i mean.. it was probably defective from new egg...

i dont know guys.. im just... i just dont know... i guess ill just keep transporting my computer back and fourth from my house to my studio everday and wait to save up the money to buy a new video card and cpu.. what makes me sick to my stomach is what if there was something else wrong? whos to say that if something else wasnt wrong and we plug in a new cpu it dosent blow that one out to?? down another 150 bucks.. 2 more and at the price of a g4 or carllion or something.. thats all i wanted..t o be able to start it up and record.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd plead my case to new egg mentioning all of your friends in the recording industry who frequently need new parts and will either hear how well you were treated or what a piece of crap company they are to deal with.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:20 PM

hehehe.. yeah right on!..

so listen. guys.. help me out? what do you think? from our process.. i mean the guy says its all put together right.. i see a floor full of computers put together by him so im sure he didnt screw up... so from our process. it seems like the cpu was just DOA right? i mean. with it in. it wont power up (at one point made a pop and we think it came from teh video card) through process of elimination when you take out the cpu is the only way that computer stays on.. so whatdya all think
Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble Hank.

There have been lots of systems built from that parts list, without ANY of the problems you report here, so what can we say without seeing the work your 'guy' did.

That he even let you take the machine without having it running is incredible to me and doesn't sound like a professional procedure at all; the results speak for themselves, I'm afraid.

Assembling a PC from scratch is something for advanced users to attempt; the kind of slap-shod assembly you describe sounds more beginner than pro; sounds as if the MB were mounted without using stand-off insulators which would also be goofy to the nth degree. If that's what was done then no wonder stuff blew up!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:30 PM

I would ask the guy that built it o throw in another cpu from one of the many you mentioned sitting on his floor.If it works you know for sure what it is.I also agree with stone this guy sounds a little shaky.I would definetly have seen it running before I took it.Did he say whether or not it ever worked.Look on the MoBo for any obvious shorts that may have happened.Since this guy was doing you a favor I guess you can't really make him responsible.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:38 PM

oh no. i didnt take it yet. i was there when he was putting it together... nothing ever happened.. it simply didnt power up. went on for like 2 seconds and shut off. .. i mean if it was even 2 seconds... it seemed like it was some sort of short and i mean.. what was i supposed to do? i bought the parts from new egg.. he put it together correctly... i cant hold him responsible for a cpu being DOA.. he says thats what it is and im just posting to get some other input... i dont know what to do really or what to say actually...

the reason why i went for a year nursing this terrible computer ive been using even though everybody always just said "buy these parts itll work" is cause this kinda stuff always happens to me... so when i finally gave in an ordered the parts i even checked the list like 5 times and even posted to make sure everything is right... i looked around at 3 different shops in the ft lauderdale area and they were total rip offs and wouldnt work with me as far as price and where i get my parts and what parts i use... so i decided to go to a buddy whos assembled all sorts of computers.. he is a proffesional and put this together for me as a favor.. i doubt he was the problem.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:46 PM

there is a few places that would have had the parts and installed it from the ground up with a 3yr warranty for under $1000 for the allen system. I checked and believe 1 system was $899 completely built with the allen list with shipping and 3yr warranty. definitly try to get your money back and go that route..