Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Default how do i route dvd player?

the facility i work at has one f'in dvd player and 3 edit rooms so you can imagine how many times i have to dive under a desk and switch out wires. is my boss just too cheap to get a router? how much are they? is it even possible to have 1 dvd player in 1 spot and able to input and output to avids in 3 different rooms? wtf??? i know it must look ridiculous to clients!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

Default Re: how do i route dvd player?

you could get an hdmi splitter and run the three cables to each TV, but then sound becomes an issue, so each room would have to have a consumer amp that the HDMI feeds, then off to the TV. Where then the AMP feeds the patch bay or monitor controller. Not a perfect solution but would probably work. Also, you need to worry about HDCP (copy protection)... Not sure if splitting the hdmi signal will get in the way of this protocol and fail the process.

A dvd player in each room would be best, especially because it's feesible that two clients might want to view at same time... and bluray players now are like 129.00 at Costco.... the distro amp and cabling will be at least that much.

Another solution would be to take the optical out of the Mac Pro and feed that to the consumer amp and then to the monitor controller -> speakers. That way you could just use the mac to play DVD's... and if you need a Blu Ray player, then it's off to Newegg.com for a pricey external.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM

thanks for getting back to me mike... i think i worded it incorrectly. what i want is to be able to have 1 dvd player/recorder in 1 room and be able to digitize and record back to dvd from 3 different avid suites. like a digibeta deck... is this asking too much or would it be best to have 3 dvd players/recorders?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM

We have our DVD recorders in the machine room, one of which can deal with SDI input. The other we have to patch through a digibeta deck to break the SDI out into a composite signal. For digitizing in, we have to run it through a digibeta deck to go to SDI for the Avids or Final Cuts.