Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: linking 2 or more 002\'s

for the cost of 2 002's you could just buy an hd core card on ebay or a mix plus system if you were willing to regress to PT 6.4. Also you could go an alternative tracking route like through digital performer etc... and just buy an I/o w/ tons of ins/outs like an rme fireface and then use digi translator to bring it into PT for mixing. Do you really need to track with more than 18 ins? I mean, I'd love to see more digital i/o options on a 002 so I could utilize two rosetta 800's, but outside of that, if your tracking with 18 mic/lines at once then you should have no problem going to an HD system anyway.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Hi all,

I am not sure how you can equate someone wanting to record more than 18 inputs with them being able to AFFORD an HD system. Not trying to start anything here...but by the time you have purchased everything you need to to track more than 18 inputs with an HD system, you will have spent close to 14K. Besides your sale person will try to up sell you to atleast an HD 2 system.

I think the best we LE users can hope for (and this will never happen) is for Digi to modify their Core audio driver to let the computer "see" other attached interfaces. That would solve our I/O problem. I have said this in other posts. I am not sure what they are afraid of loosing. I haver no problem with having to have a Digi interface connected so the program will run...that is fine. But why restrict what else I choose to hook up to my computer. Almost every other company's software in this industry will allow you to hook up what ever I/O box you'd like...and Digi will let other software recognize their hardware, but not the other way around.

IMO, they are thinking backwards, they think by controlling what we can and can't use, we will all somehow decide to upgrade to an HD system and I just don't see that happening en masse. But on the other hand, I think if they allowed PT to recognize other hardware (in addition to a mandatory Digi box), then they would truly dominate the industry. But instead they just continue to frustrate their long time users (14 years for me) by being control freaks. Don't get me wrong, I love PT, but their business plan doesn't make sense to me.

DP is looking awfully tempting - a recent test with DP running on a G5...120 audio tracks with over 80 plug-ins...all running on the BUILT-IN audio card of the mac. And Digi is offering us LE users 16 more tracks for only $500! You could get the crossgrade to DP for less than that. So, I don't know what to do...but I do know it won't be an HD system...the whole PCI card thing will be a thing of the past within the next couple of years IMO. Cheers!

Dave
Old 02-21-2006, 09:17 AM

dmsaudio... You're right in one sense, Digi seems to have it backwards with the advent of ASIO. None the less, how much hardware out there really rivals the quality of the OO2 (consumer and semi-pro hardware, I mean)? I could see this as being a code nightmare for digi to incorporate multiple Digi hardware configurations into the current PTLE software. After all, Digi's always said they were a hardware EOM

Maybe the DigiOO3 will become an expandable I/O interface
Old 02-21-2006, 09:42 AM

exactly! I'd love to stick with PT, if for no other reason the time invested in learning it (which is still on going). I'm not even that well versed with the DigiTranslator and ASIO drivers and all that...
as you might assume, im more hands on since i desire an old analog board into my setup...but i do love PT.
i mentioned the MOTU systems and DP just for the expandability alone! so im in full agreement with you. if i could just rock a Fireface IN ADDITION to my 16 used in's on my 002 i'd be happy. i hear ya about having the need for more than 16 in's but i do lots of live work in my studio and you'd be surprised, with some creative mic techiques and routing, how 16 ims is not enough sometimes. for overdubbing work, sure it more than adequate.
I would just like to snake a 24 channel board with sends into my 002 system..id be happy. hence my question. this makes the MOTU's look awfully sweet to me...
im not going to cry when PCI goes away myself to be honest.
i just dont get why a MOTU is so expandable, while the 002 is not. they are geared toward a similar consumer bracket, right? its a major oversight IMO.

hmmm...
Mackie HUI
Shure & AKG mics
a dash of creativity...
http://www.overlookband.com
Old 02-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Do you think it would be a coding nightmare? I just purchased the RME Fireface and when I run, say Soundtrack, my 002, FF800 and the built-in audio are all options for me to use. So it seems other companies can do it, Digi chooses not to. Again, none of these programs out there are perfect...each has their flaws. I have been monitoring the DP forum (unicornation.com) and it sounds like Digitranslator may not work all that well. Anyone have experience with this? I am not trying to hijack this thread with this question, but it relates in that we are trying to figure out the best way to get more inputs without taking out a second (or third!) mortgage! I am considering running both PT and DP to combat the I/O problem. The RME alone will give me 28 inputs. If anyone having an HD rig reads this, please chime in about the HD experience (especially if you upgraded from a 002) what are the realistic expense vs. benefits?

Dave
Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an 003 or some other method via Digi. If you really need that kind of I/O, in the foreseeable future then you probably need to check out one of the other DAWs.... Logic with Apogee might be a good economical way to get lots of high quality I/O. There are a lot of good options now outside of Digi...
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 AM

There was a thread to this effect a while ago, but I don't recall any results being posted of success/failure/issues.

I have a recording coming up in a few months where I may have to find out for myself. When/if I do, I'll post for discussion.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:28 PM

Syncing them together in both record and playback is a difficult proposition. However, if you just want more input channels and plan to import them into a single session and mix on a single computer, there is an extremely simple way to do this using nothing more than a y-cord and just about any instrument that has a line level output. A keyboard or tone generator would work best. You'd want them locked to the same word clock, but I did it one without having them locked to the same clock and the drift was only about 3 samples over five minutes.

1. Connect the line out from the keyboard (or whatever) into the y-cord.

2. One stem of the Y is connected to one channel of 002-A, the other connected to one channel of the 002-B.

3. Start both systems recording.

4. Play a note/sample, pick a string on a guitar, smack a snare -- anything that has a sharp attack. You only need a single note. this is your "cue blip." Keep the systems recording and play away!

5. The waveform display of that very first note should be identical (or nearly identical) on both systems. When you import the tracks from one computer into another, create two groups, one each consisting of all the tracks from the computer that recorded them.

6. Line the cue blip tracks up next to each other in the edit window. Take the group of tracks that starts "earlier" and nudge them later in the timeline until the cue blips line up perfectly with each other. For best results, you will ultimately expand the timeline display as fas as it will go and set your nudge value to 1 sample. You can ultimately line up the cue blips so that the two sets of tracks are in perfect sync.

This will definitely work. I have done it before with two 001s about 6 or seven times. The sync was perfect every time, and the nudging/aligning process can actually be done in less than a minute, though the first time you do it you might have to take a few minutes to get it just right.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM

Default Re: linking 2 or more 002's

Is it possible to link 003 to an M-Box? To achieve extra inputs? How would I go about doing this?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Re: linking 2 or more 002's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Is it possible to link 003 to an M-Box? To achieve extra inputs? How would I go about doing this?
Sorry. The answer is still "no."

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1