Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-31-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Hyper Threading

I'm able to disable hyperthreading in my BIOS. But then my comp is ridiculasly slow, to the point were its unusable. I've been reading here that as well as disabling it in the bios you have to change windows manually to run with it off. )"set windows to ACPI Uni Processor insted of ACPI Multi Processor PC"). I can get to where it shows ACPT Multi Processor in my divice manager, I just don't know how to make the switch. Can anybody help me? Hopfully this will alow my comp to run normal with it diasabled.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Hyper Threading

Nobody!?? Sombodys got to know, I read about doing it hear. HELP!!
Nobody else has come across the system chug once hyperthreading is disabled?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 PM

I have it disabled in the bios and have no problems. I dont think you change anything in windows. Whats your system specs?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 PM

On my setup I can disable it in the task manager and only turn it off one app at a time.
That way all my other apps can still use it.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 PM

My specs...
Im running an P4 3.0G, 1G of ram Windows XP. All my hardware is compatable with Protools. The digi tech on the phone was very suprised that my system was so slow once Hyperthreading was disabled.So I was looking around on here and another guy mentioned having to manually change windows in the device manager to run with HT disabled but didn't explain exactly how to do it. Just that it was nessicary.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:18 AM

in Device manager
Computer > ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Driver tab, Update driver
folow it through then restart
Old 09-01-2005, 04:43 PM

You mentioned talking to 'tech' support, did they say anything about tweaking Windows and have you done all of the standard Pro Tools LE tweaks, Do you have Antivirus, or defragmention software running in the background, that should be disabled ... and even though all your equipment is Digi approved, you could still have it configuired poorly for Pro Tools use. I would check my XP tweaks and go from there, like make sure you are using the porper version with the correct pacthes installed, like 6.9 and SP2, or 6.4 or .7 with SP1, Are your USB ports turned off, how about the printer/serial/com ports that you are not using or is the on board sound card disabled, are you hard drives properly formatted and set-up ... are you using SATA or IDE drives. Some Tweaking resources are www.musicxp.net and www.blackviper.com ... and of course Digidesign.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 PM

Yeah im in the middle of that now. Is there a way to save your msconfig settings to be account specific, so every time I start my computer without the intentions of using protools I dont have to click a million different setting. I could just load one setup for Pro tools and a different setup for regular use. Like having two separate hardware profiles, and windows asks you to choose witch to use at startup?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 PM

Probably the easiest solution to this (provided you have space on your HD) is dual booting: 2 installations of XP - 1 for day to day stuff and the other optimised for ProTools. You then just choose the system you want to boot at start up. It's very simple to do and means that you only need to install audio stuff on you Pro Tools system - thereby keeping it as unbloated and tweaked as possible. You can also disable a bunch of services which suck CPU & RAM but which you might want running on your day to day machine as a matter of convenience/necessity.

HTH!

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.