Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Convert from subscription to perpetual license

Hi. I purchased the PT 12 download version from Guitar Center about 2 weeks ago, year upgrades/support $299. Running fine. Tonight I bought the Eleven Rack/PT 12 deal at Sweetwater, $599.

I only need one instance of PT 12. Currently have the subscription version installed on my Mac. I want to convert to the perpetual license that comes with the Eleven rack. What is the most efficient way to make this change?

Thanks for your help.

Alan
Old 09-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Convert from subscription to perpetual license

To my knowledge there's only one software installation of Pro Tools for both types of license. The only difference will be that once ilok license will expire. Once you activate the perpetual license you'll have two on your ilok. They both will allow you to run Pro Tools the same. No converting required. It does kind of stink that you have an extra license. I don't think you can return the subscription. But you might try talking with Guitar Center.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanStansbery View Post
Hi. I purchased the PT 12 download version from Guitar Center about 2 weeks ago, year upgrades/support $299. Running fine. Tonight I bought the Eleven Rack/PT 12 deal at Sweetwater, $599.

I only need one instance of PT 12. Currently have the subscription version installed on my Mac. I want to convert to the perpetual license that comes with the Eleven rack. What is the most efficient way to make this change?

Thanks for your help.

Alan
Don't activate the new one yet!

I'm no expert on this and I could be wrong, but I think you have two perpetual licenses.

I don't think the license you bought for $299 is a "subscription." Subscriptions are billed monthly, not annually. I'm pretty sure it's a perpetual license. All that expires at the end of the year is support and eligibility for upgrades. Place a quick call to GC or Avid to verify one way or the other.

You may be able to sell the license that came with your Rack. I don't know how much it would be worth or how much hassle it would be, but anything may be better than nothing.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:36 AM

Actually I'm pretty sure that is the subscription, because that's the only thing priced at $299.

It's basically a prepaid subscription for 1 year ($299 divided by 12 is about $25). Adobe has the same thing available where you can prepay a year's subscription to their Creative Cloud stuff. You can buy it at Best Buy, B&H, etc.).
Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help. I'll contact Avid and see what I've got. I did some research already, and in the article that dealt with reselling ones license, there was a statement to the effect this isn't possible for the 2015 products. At least not yet. We'll see...

Alan