Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-04-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Question "Commit" and VCA automation

If I have 2 subgroups, both controlled by the same VCA (drums and bass, for example), and I "Commit" those 2 buses, is any VCA automation controlling the output of those 2 tracks automatically reflected in the rendered, committed files, or does it need to be coalesced first?

I came across some language somewhere that seemed to imply it was not automatically included in the committed audio, but it was kind of unclear, as well.

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-05-2021, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Question "Commit" and VCA automation

I don’t commit subgroups but I do work with VCAs a lot. My understanding is that as long as they are still members of the VCA group they will still follow the VCA automation. If you want the automation to be part of the committed audio you have to coalesce the automation before you commit and select the automation to be included in the committed audio. At least that’s how I understand it to work.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFilterLab View Post
I don’t commit subgroups but I do work with VCAs a lot. My understanding is that as long as they are still members of the VCA group they will still follow the VCA automation. If you want the automation to be part of the committed audio you have to coalesce the automation before you commit and select the automation to be included in the committed audio. At least that’s how I understand it to work.
Thanks so much, FilterLab. "Committing" to stems here for a completed project.

I performed my own test this morning, which seemed to confirm that as long as the VCA fader is active, any VCA automation applied to subgroup buses is automatically rendered when one "commits" those buses, regardless of whether it has been coalesced.

This is how I would imagine it would work, as the VCA is simply "adding" to whatever fader automation is already present on the subgroup bus. I just wasn't sure whether the VCA component of the overall automation happened in real time while committing, or whether it came afterwards as a separate process. My test seemed to confirm the former.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:40 AM

That's interesting, so in the commit process it records all of the automation data to the committed audio. Which kind of makes sense. But after the audio has been committed does the VCA automation continue to affect the committed audio? I would think that it would be doubling up on the VCA automation. I'll have to do some tests on my end to make sense of it.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
That's interesting, so in the commit process it records all of the automation data to the committed audio. Which kind of makes sense. But after the audio has been committed does the VCA automation continue to affect the committed audio? I would think that it would be doubling up on the VCA automation. I'll have to do some tests on my end to make sense of it.
When you commit, you have the option to allow the committed tracks to have the same group assignments as the original tracks. If that option is checked, I would assume that you would then get the "double dose" of VCA automation you describe, as the VCA would still be actively controlling those newly committed tracks (or buses, etc.)

If that option is unchecked during the commit procedure, it would essentially "break" any control the VCA will have over the newly committed tracks, as the new tracks are not members of the group controlled by the VCA. In that case, you do *not* get the double dose of VCA automation.

Hope that makes sense! Would be curious to know the results of whatever testing you might implement on your end.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:53 AM

Well I did a couple tests myself. I'm getting the same results that you found. If you keep the committed audio in the VCA group you do get a double dose of VCA automation.

So I was obviously wrong in my original theory and I guess this methodology is probably better. Because, I'm sure a lot of people would forget to coalesce before committing and that would be worse than a double dose of VCA automation if you put the committed audio back in the same VCA group.

Sometimes you gotta just go through all of the steps to make sure you understand the PT logic.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well I did a couple tests myself. I'm getting the same results that you found. If you keep the committed audio in the VCA group you do get a double dose of VCA automation.

So I was obviously wrong in my original theory and I guess this methodology is probably better. Because, I'm sure a lot of people would forget to coalesce before committing and that would be worse than a double dose of VCA automation if you put the committed audio back in the same VCA group.

Sometimes you gotta just go through all of the steps to make sure you understand the PT logic.
Indeed! Thanks for confirming — always good day when we learn something
Old 09-05-2021, 02:35 PM

This all depends on what signal path you are committing up to.

You mentioned you are committing your subgroups.

Which means you have source track outputs going into Aux track inputs or audio tracks to record your stems.

Snare ——> Drum Subgroup——->2 mix.

The drum subgroup should have an output assigned to it. Perhaps your monitor path or a 2 Mix path for your stereo mix print track.

If you have VCA’s controlling your sub groups. Those level changes are affecting the outputs of those sub tracks. Volume is post fader level going to that track assigned output.

Therefore, if you are choosing the commit up to the bus feeding into the “Drum subgroup”. The VCA info is not getting committed with your audio.

If you commit up to the output of the subgroup, then the VCA and volume of that subgroup is getting committed.

Commit is just another version of Bounce to Disk with more options.