Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Kontakt Memory Server (KMS) Could not start MemoryServer. Memory Extension will be...

2.8Ghz i7 iMac w/ 16GB RAM
OSX 10.6.7
Kontakt 4.2.3.4914
Pro Tools 9.0.0

Never used Kontakt memory server, trying to test it out to see if it's a better alternative to hosting VI's externally. So far it's a no-go. Whether I open kontakt in standalone or as a plugin I get the same error message:

Quote:
Kontakt 4 - Could not start MemoryServer. Memory Extension will be disabled
What am I missing? I've tried enabling KMS in automatic and manual mode, and I've restarted the computer several times. One I've enabled it, it definitely sees all of my RAM, it just won't start.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Kontakt Memory Server (KMS) Could not start MemoryServer. Memory Extension will b

Got it working. I re-installed Kontakt and that has fixed it.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Kontakt Memory Server (KMS) Could not start MemoryServer. Memory Extension will b

I have been using it no problem. I am curious why Nativ Instruments can come up with a 64 bit solution that runs from within Pro Tools and no one else has?? Or is it smoke and mirrors? I do get Kontakt instruments that still glitch and work better hosted via VEPro
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 PM

It definitely works, but it's pretty CPU intensive. I also tested it in logic, and the CPU usage is significantly higher when using KMS vs. Hosting kontakt as a 64 bit plugin directly in Logic.

Sent from my sub-epic jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g running on a cheap pay-as-you-go T-HOBObile plan using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 AM

The only reason that Kontakt has a memory server at all is history. Windows has been running 64bit programs for years, but because of the Carbon/Cocoa fiasco it wasn't possible to have cross-platform apps for OSX. therefore NI "borrowed" an idea from VSL and came up with the memory server. Once more things are 64bit on OSX I would imagine that the server will be phased out in future updates.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Just wanted to revisit this thread. I have found that CPU usage is reduced significantly if you set pro tools to one core and Kontakt RTAS to use 6 cores(out of 8 available cores). I've tried several combinations of assigning Kontakt and Pro Tools to different numbers of cores and this seems to be the best scenario. The load seems to be balanced pretty good when recording multiple instances of Kontakt, which is a huge improvement over Logic(Logic will balance the load during playback, but when recording to multiple instrument tracks everything gets assigned to a single core).