Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Midi Timing - Protools as my workstation

Hello everyone, I have an Issue with the Midi Timing, Kindly help me.

I have been using protools as my main workstation for Music Production for about 6 years. I have heard from many Music Producers that the Midi-timing in Logic is tight. And recently when i took my ProTools Session (recorded on 003R) to a Pt HD studio, the engineer has complained that the Midi-timing is not tight, and also advised me to Use Logic as my Workstation and he went on explaining me to use ProTools for Mixing and Mastering alone. Later when i started observing, i have found that there is a slight Latency (waveform not in sync visually to the beat grid) even when i recorded using LOW LATENCY, and H/W at 128 samples, ... and also trying Midi Offset (which is a very painful thing to set it to every individual Midi track.)

I am confused. And also since i am VERY VERY COMFORTABLE and Used to working in ProTools, i am not happy to adopt Logic as my Workstation at this point of time. But if "Using Logic is the only way to get tighter Midi Timing ... i will ... cause i am working on a lot of commercial projects at the moment.

Please Suggest and Help me ...

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bobby Arey.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Midi Timing - Protools as my workstation

How could the midi timing change from a LE to HD system? The HD system probably was using ADC (delay compensation) that will tend to throw things off. He should of known to turn ADC off, bounce your tracks (audio) and then resume with the mix.

I get LE midi stuff all the time. No issues whatsoever. (I'm on HD3)

BTW - Logic is more accurate and can run a lot more VIs because AU is much better than RTAS. But who knows what apple will do with that program in the future. Not a real money maker for them.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:43 PM

There is an issue that is actually mentioned in the protools reference guide regarding midi timing. It states that the timing could be off a little bit when the sessions are played back using a high hardware buffer setting, which, coincidently, is usually how people play back their mixes. Perhaps Logic doesn't have this problem.

The workaround for that is to print your midi tracks to audio at a low buffer setting. You may need to deactivate some tracks while you do that to free up cpu. Once the tracks are printed to audio then they stay however they were recorded like any other audio track.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 AM

Thanks a lot nst7 and ronwasserman.

As you said, ronwasserman ...

Quote:
How could the midi timing change from a LE to HD system? The HD system probably was using ADC (delay compensation) that will tend to throw things off. He should of known to turn ADC off, bounce your tracks (audio) and then resume with the mix.
Its not the Midi-timing that has changed, but its The waveform of the (Midi to Audio) bounced/printed audio tracks (in Pt8-003R) that are not exactly in Sync on both LE and HD systems. i.e Midi notes are perfectly tempo synced in the midi editor, but the audio(waveform) printed from that midi channel is not in sync. It is slightly out of sync to a couple of samples.

nst7, as you mentioned

Quote:
when the sessions are played back using a high hardware buffer setting, which, coincidently, is usually how people play back their mixes
I record midi with H/W Buffer 125 and LOW LATENCY ON. And i bounce/Print it immediately, as i use my Triton Hardware synth a lot.

Please suggest and help.

Thanks a lot again ronwasserman and nst7.
God Bless.

[email protected]
Old 08-08-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyarey View Post
Thanks a lot nst7 and ronwasserman.

As you said, ronwasserman ...

Its not the Midi-timing that has changed, but its The waveform of the (Midi to Audio) bounced/printed audio tracks (in Pt8-003R) that are not exactly in Sync on both LE and HD systems. i.e Midi notes are perfectly tempo synced in the midi editor, but the audio(waveform) printed from that midi channel is not in sync. It is slightly out of sync to a couple of samples.

nst7, as you mentioned

I record midi with H/W Buffer 125 and LOW LATENCY ON. And i bounce/Print it immediately, as i use my Triton Hardware synth a lot.

Please suggest and help.

Thanks a lot again ronwasserman and nst7.
God Bless.

[email protected]
No doubt. I have the same thing. Set to 128, I bounce a VI to audio and it's a tad late.

What I can't understand is how you could get it lined up in PTLE and then have it be off again in PT HD.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Well, you could nudge the waveform back a few samples, but I'm not sure exactly how to calculate how many samples it need to be.

You might ask this question in the "midi" section of the forum. Might get more people chiming in.