Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Default mbox with powerbook g4 1.6ghz processor 1g memory

i was wondering if anyone would know any good computer configuration I could use for my mac to help me lower my latency with my mbox. also if someone could explain the most efficient way to set up a protools session with rewire so i can use reason to program drums and record a guitar track with my pod with as little latency as possible. i know how to set up the tracks, i am just not sure how to moniter, and select what you are actually recording. i am sorry i am a really big begginner but any help would be appreciated.

-electros
Old 09-29-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Re: mbox with powerbook g4 1.6ghz processor 1g memory

You mean latency while playing softsynths? If thats your primary target, I hate to say it, but mbox isn't the best sound card for you. You will have minimum 512 samples of latency in almost every situation...
It's because of the USB-connection. Thats the weakest link with the mbox. It's great for recording audio,, has good preamps and converters, but you're kinda stuck with the latency. Sorry.

BR Tubz
Old 09-29-2004, 09:43 AM

wow. i now feel like i lost all my money becuause if i can't record my guitar tracks with no latency than i might as well start looking into something else. how can you record like that? why is the mbox even out in the market?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:36 AM

Electros.

The Latency (at 512) is only a factor on the Mbox when using MIDI Software Synths. I have the Mbox and 1.3Ghz PB and it works great doing guitars, Bass, keys etc... It uses input hardware monitoring which alows you to monitor without any latency (because you are hearing the signal before it is processed by the computer) The only draw back is that you have to wait to apply pluggins until after you have recorded because you won't hear the effect as you record.(no big deal) It does have an insert so you can hear hardware processors. Even when using softsynths the latency is very "usable", especially with reason. I've used several intensive softsynths without too much trouble.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:41 AM

To set up reason, just create a stereo aux track. go to the top insert, select stereo instrument, then reason. Reason will appear and it will rewire into PT automatically so you can monitor what you are programming in Reason throught the aux channel in PT. (after that you can assign each reason track to an individual channel in PT if you want) there are several books out there which lay out step by step directions, also there is a section on the propellerheads site