Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-31-2017, 10:32 AM

Default Re: AVID: One change that would help us like you a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I'm not against the subscription scheme because everyone does it these days. Just look at Slate, steadily delivering consistent quality... I'm against the reinstatement fee, the penalty. Not so much the money, but the whole idea sounds 'grabby'. ('Pay up or else!').
Exactly. Onus is on users rather than development. For HD users the reinstatement fee is a crime. I re-upped in November thinking I'd get more MIDI capabilities beyond 12.8.2.

I do love HDx and the quality of the interfaces but I'm not falling for that again.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:13 PM

Quick reply to all! I am just a customer. Yes, just a customer! I come from an era where "The customer was always right"! I'm an old man! I don't profess to be any kind of computer nerd. programmer or code writer! I signed on with Pro Tools, if memory serves, ver. 6, because I just wanted to record music! I was a musician in my former life. That's all I wanted! Pro Tools 12 is a nightmare for me! I was ok with ver.9 and then,in their never ending search for more money they had to go and spoil it! Does anyone know who sells multi track tape machines now days? The cost would probably be comparable to the amount I've spent with Avid and Sweetwater for compatible stuff and replacement of same as it is all temporary and destined to be obsoleted A.S.A.P.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:16 PM

Hey.Unless you haven't noticed, That's what CEO's do!!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:16 PM

Maybe one day we'll return to the only system proven to work, the one that created all those amazing records that have stood the test of time.........

musicians going to studios to be recorded by engineers, guided by producers.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

The problem with Avid's PT model is that it penalizes the customer for leaving, instead of incentivizing them towards staying.

In people terms, its an abusive relationship
Old 12-31-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
In people terms, its an abusive relationship

Then what does that say about customers who stay? Are you saying they have a type of battered wives syndrome?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Then what does that say about customers who stay? Are you saying they have a type of battered wives syndrome?
Na is da Virtual Stockholm Syndrome VSS .... en den ifn' you is leave 'n, is yer Digital Post Traumatic Stress Disorder DPTSD vare ve keep'n reachin' for der works flow'n, dat is no dare

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-31-2017, 05:20 PM

In my case, I used to love Digidesign. Honest people full of passion to serve their Pro Tools users. There is no excitement in what Avid does. Zero, period! This has been going on since the name Digidesign became history.
It takes Avid at least 6 months to come up with an update associated with a new Mac OS.
Pro tools Graphics engine is a thing of past. What about supporting Apple's Metal technology?
This is a very long list of needs that Pro Tools users have in their heart.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Actually that's a pretty good description of the dynamic for me, as someone who is still on the plan despite so often nearly leaving.

2 years ago I had a very long support case which concluded that a feature was there "by design" but agreed that the design made no sense. A Field Recorder search will not just return results where you've asked it too look, but additionally everything already in its memory, resulting in a dog's breakfast. This is crackers, and I've wasted days of my life working round it. All it needs is one checkbox - "don't include existing project media". I was told by the support man - who seemed very nice - that yes it made complete sense, no he couldn't think why it would always include project media and yes he'd put in a request with the coding team, but no I shouldn't hold my breath. It's on Ideascale, but... ya know.

Ach, sorry, its becoming another General Rant thread and I'm not helping. But as others have said, I think we've essentially lived through 2 or 3 years of very slim pickings because Avid's management decided to save money by outsourcing, and throw hard-pressed resources into the cloud that almost nobody wants.

But to end on a more positive note... being new year an all... just lately I do see some signs of hope. It would be lovely if they continue make some serious effort to repair the damage in customer relations. Dropping the reinstatement punishment would be a terrific step forward.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Seems to me as someone pointed out, when they uncoupled the software from the hardware that the problems/errors started multiplying
PT was always a bitch when it came to hardware compatibility. For me, it's more stable and usable now than in the mbox dongle days. I used to have to be super diligent about waiting for Avid to release a driver for every new OS update, typically a month or 2. PT + RME Babyface has been solid over many OS and PT updates even when I forget to check for firmware & driver updates (and I forget far more often than I remember - that's how solid it is).

I've used a Tascam as well, and while it had some MIDI problems with the last few Sierra updates, it's been perfect in PT with High Sierra.