Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Tuning A Vocal Track

Hey Guys,

I was having a read of the groundwork article in the dizizine about comping then tuning a lead vocal.

Ok so I've comped my lead vocal track onto a new track, Put in all my crossfades. I then setup autotune on an Aux like suggested in the article bussing it to a new track and recording the tuned vocal parts onto their.

After recording to parts of the vocal and trying to add a crossfade between them I get a message saying adjust the boundries of skip because its an illegal fade.

I tried joining the regions making it one track, but then after selecting the first phrase, recording that to the tuned track, then the second I still wasnt able to put a crossfade between the two tune phrases, so how does the article mean it should be done?

I'm lost

Thanks

Tempest
Crucial 1gig DDR PC3200 CAS3
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W
Old 12-22-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Tuning A Vocal Track

I haven't read the article...but generally speaking, you'd concentrate on small sections, phrases, or even certain syllables. I generally copy the original (comped) playlist to the new track and tune only that which is necessary, and always select/dub some leaway on each side for editing purposes (so you don't run into the boundary problem...and it gives you more room and options in how to make your edit as transparent as possible).
Old 12-22-2004, 02:02 PM

Two threads for you:
using autotune by our resident expert, Rail

and

crossfade boundary info which has a reply from digi that I have found to be useful.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-22-2004, 02:16 PM

Thank you Gentlemen,

I shall be on my way to try out your suggestions after having a browse through those pages.
I think I should be able to work around allowing a little room for editing, but I think their are a couple of particular words that wont allow for leaving a little room to be able to crossfade the regions.

The whole vocal is in pretty good tuning, but I find myself using auto tune time and again getting to used to making certain notes perfect. Its like an addiction, why leave it near perfect when you can have it perfect.

I usually use a generous amount on my backing vocals as I hate singing them and am usually sick by the time ive recorded the lead. I get bored having to keep running back to the keyboard and hitting space etc to record takes. I need someone to record me. That would be much easier.

Anyways, I shall post my first Protools track in the tracks thread at the top as soon as its done.

Also, because you both seem to be in the know, I was trying to achieve a certain effect earlier which I had heard on a song where between the pre chorus and chorus there was sort of a little break and the whole tune seemed as though it was sucked into reverse, then the chorus kicked in.

Any idea of how I might achieve this?

Thanks again

C Tempest
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W
Old 12-22-2004, 02:23 PM

Quote:
a certain effect earlier which I had heard on a song where between the pre chorus and chorus there was sort of a little break and the whole tune seemed as though it was sucked into reverse, then the chorus kicked in.

that's pretty vague...i can think of a half dozen or so effects that would fit that description. Which tune?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:00 PM

Sorry Chris,

I realised after i posted that I was vague in my description. I'm into pop and rock tunes and have heard the same techniques in a lot of albums recently, but the song I'm homing in on is " You Found Me" by Kelly Clarkson.

I also like the drums during the verse, they sound like they've got some kinda filters on them or something getting a kind of flicker on the hats. I have no idea

Any ideas?

Tempest
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W
Old 12-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Well, I'm not familiar with that title (is it the actual title, or one of the lyrics or part of the hook???)

Something to wet your appetite (what I first think from your description): take a vocal track, duplicate it, reverse it, apply some super wet verb to it, reverse it again, blend with original. Be careful with it...it's starting to get overused a bit in my opinion...could eventually make your music sound dated instead of timeless (sort of like flange and phasers on guitars and cymbals of the eighties). I personally think it's best when used on single hits and sparingly...for instance, creating that woomph ramp-up out of a rest.

Perhaps Rail would know more about the actual song you're talking about (as I'm not familiar with it yet), and he's worked on some of the Idol albums. Don't know...
Old 12-22-2004, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I also like the drums during the verse, they sound like they've got some kinda filters on them or something getting a kind of flicker on the hats. I have no idea

Like I said, not really familiar with the tune...although I now see it as being one of the tunes on her first album. My guess (without having listened to the track or having had any part whatsoever in the production) could be just about anything...reversed then delayed then reversed again...then filtered...then regular verb added...just dunno...
Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 PM

okay, just did the i-tunes thing and took a listen...

sorry to dissappont...sounds pretty straight ahead to me. The "real" drums are pretty straight forward and dry. So is the vocal. Listening to it and reading your descriptions, it sounds like what you're hearing is the synth and drum/loop programming (which are filtered in places).
Old 12-23-2004, 09:18 AM

Thank you Chris.

You needn't have bothered to search for that song, but thankyou anyway.

I think you're right about it being some kinda loop now when I listen carefully.

I've heard these same kind of tricks on the new avril album, asheel simpson etc. I actually quite like them but yeah, maybe a little overused sometimes.

How do they set them up? just play a drum loop over the verse with a whole load of stuff going on the filter it out just as the chorus kicks in?

I wasnt too keen on the first clarkson album but the second is great.

I've only been at this recording thing for about 8 months now so I still have a whole load to learn. I moved from Cubase because it wasnt getting me anywhere. Do you know of any good books listing and explaining modern production techniques?

I already read the mixing engineers handbook about a million times, to try to get me up to speed in mixing but I sometimes fault on production not always being able to achieve the sound I desire.

Thanks again

Tempest
Western Digital 80GB x2
Radeon 9200SE 64 DDR
Enermax Noisetaker 370W