Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Default powering up my mac with a 001 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have recently purchased a Digi OO1 second hand which I faxed a transfer of ownership form.

I had installed the accompanying PCI card into my mac then I plugged the cable into the 001 unit and the PCI card.

When I press the power up button on the front of my mac it does not power up. The light on the Mac comes on then goes off and when I press the power button on there is a short power signal on the 001 unit but it goes off at the same time the mac does.

I tried installing the PCI card into all the PCI slots on my mac but with no success.
I have inserted all the above digidesign equipment into my housemates PC and it works and into my other housemates Powermac which is not a dual processor and it works. Initially I thought my problem might have something to do with the fact that both of these computers already run a piece of Pro Tools hardware - the PC on a 002 rack and the Powermac on a Mbox so I installed the Pro Tools 6.4 software onto my Mac then tried to connect the 001 and power up again but the same thing happened.

As this equipment works on other systems I know that it is a compatibility problem with the 001 and my Mac. In the past I have run an MAudio Ozone which I still have installed on my system but the unit itself is not attached.

Please help as the pressure for a successfully running studio is growing.

Here is some info on my Mac:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 867 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.4.6f2

Thanks,

Old 09-29-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: powering up my mac with a 001 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your Mac is a G4 Mirror Drive Door, you've got problems. There was a PCI power problem attributed to a faulty Logic Board that prevented the G4 from powering up when a 001 PCI card was installed. The only fix unfortunately is replacing the logic board of the G4. However since the G4 is probably about 3 to 4 years old I'd say don't bother trying to get Apple to switch it out at this point. Keep that machine and invest in a 002r or whatever is just around the corner at AES.

A 001 card will not work in a G5 so if you're thinking of upgrading your G4 to a G5 then you'll need a 002/002r/Mbox anyway. Support for the 001 ended with version 6.4 of Protools LE

Sorry about the bad news, but this explains why it works on other systems but not on your Mac. Your Mac is at fault. Usually this happens to Dual 1Ghz MDD G4's. but it's probable you've got the same problem. I was one of the first Guinea Pigs to experience this after I bought a first generation MDD G4. I'll never do that again. Always let the problems get ironed out before jumping onto the latest greatest. I learned my lesson the hard way and was unable to work for a month and a half because of it. And I make my living this way. ouch!

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives