Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2003, 04:39 PM

Default Outboard Gear as Insert On Master Fader

I want to use out board gear(TL Audio) Compressor and Para EQ as an I/O insert on the master fader for mastering entire mix when bouncing. I have the insert set up as a stereo pair 3&4 in and 3&4 ou of the Digi 001. THe inset works fine on audio tracks and Aux tracks but when I try to put the insert on the master fader I get an error "Access Violation" and the session needs to be restarted.

Please help!

Dana
Old 01-12-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Outboard Gear as Insert On Master Fader

Dana

It sounds like you're doing everything right.. Do you have anything else inserted on the master fader when you try and plug-in an I/O insert on the master fader?

A work around to try - which would place the compressor pre the master fader which is better anyway - assign all your mix tracks to a pair of busses instead of outputs 1&2.. create a stereo Aux track and assign its inputs to the same pair of busses.. assign the output to your stereo out 1&2. Insert I/O insert across the Aux track and see if that helps.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-12-2003, 08:54 PM

Thanks... no other inserts on master fader. I tried what you sugguested.... seems to work. The level meters on the master fader do not light up (Kick). But it seems to control the master output none the less.

Regards,
Dana
Old 01-12-2003, 09:28 PM

Something in your system sounds fishy.. you may want to reinstall the software.

Rail
Old 01-12-2003, 09:29 PM

Rails method is the same as we use when inserting on the master fader. the master fader insert points are (unlike the individual channel inserts) post fader, useless IMHO. By creating the set-up he describes, you have a prefader insert point.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:55 AM

IMHO? I will try reinstalling program too. I am trying to sweeten and warm the digital mix with the TL Audio analog gear for mastering (Compressor & EQ) I just picked up an Otari 1/4" 2track and as soon as I get it set up by a tech, run the mix to tape and then back in to a 2track session. Is this a good aproach? Should I go to tape before or after EQ and conpression?

Thanks,
Dana
Old 01-13-2003, 08:11 AM

IMHO=in my humble opinion.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:41 AM

New problem. When I bounce using the above methode it creates a wave file but it is empty(Silent). Like a bounce with no signal. I have the "input" of the above discused AUX track as the "bus" from all other tracks and the "output" to digi 1&2. The out bourd "insert" is in the insert section of the track and is working fine. THe music is audable from the session itself.

Dana
Old 01-13-2003, 09:10 AM

What did you choose as the source for your BTD? It should be Outputs 1 & 2. The problem I'm having is that you're not seeing metering on Outputs 1&2.. so something doesn't sound right.

All your source tracks (Kick, Snare, etc) are assigned to Busses 1&2 as their outputs. You created a stereo Aux track with its input assigned to Busses 1&2 and its outputs assigned to Outputs 1&2. You still have a stereo master fader for Outputs 1&2.

On the stereo Aux track in the inserts you've selected I/O and you're sending out your outputs 3&4... and you're sure that your send from Output 3&4 is going into your compressor.. and the returns from the outputs of the compressor are returning into the Inputs of 3&4. Please recheck the wiring of your compressor.. it sounds like the ins & outs are reversed.

You should see metering on your Master fader (either Pre or Post metering) before you can BTD succesfully.

Rail
Old 01-13-2003, 10:29 AM

The I/O insert is wired fine and working properly. However, the output bus I chose was 5&6 for all the audio and other AUX Tracks. You mentioned BUS 1&2 in your message. I am not sure you ment it needs to be 1&2 or you were just using it as an example. I am currently using BUS 1&2 for reverb sends.

PS Thank You very much for takeing SO much of your time to help me

Dana