Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Default Mbox Pro Firewire Not Recognized (Light Show)

I'm having a issue, and as far as I have seen in other threads at the forum, it's a rather common one. My Mbox Pro was doing fine, but suddenly stopped being recognized by my Macbook (Snow Leopard 10.6.8), and didn' t even show up anymore on the System Preferences Sound Window.

If Macbook was rebooted, Mbox returned to normal for a few minutes, only to repeat the problem over and over again. While using a program like Pro Tools, or even a generic app for listening to music, it was possible to perceive the connection being lost.

I then remembered that the problem started just after I' ve installed a software called Soundflower, from Cycling 74, which routes audio signal from a software to another. Just as a experience, I tried to uninstall Soundflower to see if it had some effect over the Mbox behavior, and - surprise, surprise - the problem was solved.

But that' s not the end of the story... A few days later, I tried to install Logic Pro 9 on the same machine. I have more than one software for audio running there, and was trying to implement this one too. Logic produced the same effect as Soundflower, and my Mbox vanished from the system after a few minutes.

Again, the solution was uninstalling Logic, and fortunately all is running well as before I tried to use this softwares.

Now, my question is: what is causing this problem? I know that Mbox can be used with Logic and Soundflower, because I have seen it working in other Macs. What can I do to solve this, if it happens again (even with other softwares)? This is obviously a software issue, since now my system has worked well again all week.

Thank you for your help!