How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-26-2020, 04:44 PM

Default Re: PT 2020.5 erratic behaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Your replies here are increasingly just weird. You are not helping yourself get attention or advocating for help from other users or Avid.

I don't care if Avid changed something deliberately, if it's broken now get an incident number and better a bug number and keep advocating coherently for a fix. Engineering is unlikely to ever fix this without an actual bug number.

Whining on here often does not help, you need to advocate coherently in parallel; do the support stuff expected to make sure the issue is even seen by Avid support and engineering, and built support from other users to agree with you to get this prioritized. Being a jackass is not the way to win support from other users.
Daz. Ya got nowt better to do. Go make music instead of trolling, if ya really want a flaming match, I'll give you one you will never forget, but not on here, I have told you, have the balls to either PM me or mail me because frankly, I am sick of your jerkoff attempts at trying to belittle and pour scorn upon what I am saying. Comprende?
Old 07-26-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Your replies here are increasingly just weird. You are not helping yourself get attention or advocating for help from other users or Avid.

I don't care if Avid changed something deliberately, if it's broken now get an incident number and better a bug number and keep advocating coherently for a fix. Engineering is unlikely to ever fix this without an actual bug number.

Whining on here often does not help, you need to advocate coherently in parallel; do the support stuff expected to make sure the issue is even seen by Avid support and engineering, and built support from other users to agree with you to get this prioritized. Being a jackass is not the way to win support from other users.
Jackass? Get this troll booted moderator
Old 07-26-2020, 05:41 PM

Dynamic Transport- The Pleasure & the Pain

I do not have the time to spend on making videos to accentuate the points that I am making about the sheer idiocy of AVID's decision to alter the modes of Dynamic Transport function in Pro Tools from 2019 onwards, however I will endeavour to describe why I am making this assertion, as succinctly and as much as possible in layman's terms, so that it can be easily understood; anyone wanting to replicate the previous modes will need to return to Pro Tools 2018.12 which is the version that I am now again using in preference to anything that came after this version when the Dynamic Transport behaviour was altered.

First we must go back to 2009 when Pro Tools was equipped with the Playlists functionality. Now assuming that we have a basic understanding of the way that playlists work, let me describe (in a somewhat curtailed and macro context), the way that I have developed my workflow over the years in conjunction with Dynamic Transport prior to it's behaviour alterations, post 2018.12:

Imagine that we have multiple takes of a lead vocal, for example ten stacked takes that we can clearly see by selecting the playlists option in the Track View Selector. Each track has been recorded for the complete length of a 5 minute song for example. We can use the strip silence function to separate the audio from unwanted silence/low level noise. Once we have done this on all the takes in the playlist (originally created using the Loop Record function), we are left with a plethora of smaller chunks of audio, each of which must be analysed. In 2018.12 the Dynamic Transport functionality allows quick, easy, surgical process of elimination whereby we never need to halt the transport playback - just select a part and the playhead jumps immediately to it and resumes playback, almost seamlessly. This is an invaluable tool allowing fast precise and surgical editing. It works supremely well in conjunction with the ability to solo the individual takes on playlists.

I have produced hundreds of Pro Tools projects using this method and achieved staggeringly good results.

However. From 2019 onwards, this functionality was altered in an apparent drive to boost the sales of the perpetual subscription. When we now select a n audio clip with "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" engaged, the transport does NOT immediately update the playhead, it continues to run until it reaches the timeline selection, unless we of course, STOP the transport and then click within (arbitrarily and frankly very imprecise). When the playhead is again activated within the bounds of the timeline selection, we then have to either engage or disengage the Link Timeline & Edit Selection button numerous times whilst editing a part. It is slow, clumsy and prone to react erratically, sometimes overshooting the boundary edges, and basically causing editing time to increase exponentially, with all the ramifications that brings when trying to attain professional results and complete projects within a given time-frame. It is particularly invasive and destructive when working at high zoom resolutions of a waveform, requiring precise and attentive editing proceedures.

I suggest that anyone who is on the same page as I am with this, or even if you are not or do not have experience of the way the Dynamic Transport used to function, go and try this out - install Pro Tools 2018.12 and judge for yourself which of the two modus operandi work the best to achieve fast surgical editing.

I am passed all this idiocy emanating from trolls who have no understanding of professional workflow and how the change in the way that the Dynamic Transport works has adversely affected the whole Pro Tools experience - I am here, doing this because apparently no one else has the time, energy nor necessary technical knowledge to explain it all out. I would spend longer, and go into much finer detail, but the limitations of this word processor are adding further complications in being able to get the point across about just how serious this issue is, and how it is contributing to users like me having to resort to using previous versions of Pro Tools even though still having to pay the annual subscription for further "updates" that apparently either add very little that is new and even, in the case of the Dynamic Transport, take away mission critical functionality.

Davey C responded in another thread saying it would be looked into, but it has not been and we are now 4 "updates" into this situation. ALL I ASK IS FOR IT TO BE RECTIFIED, or at least, a legacy option be made available in preferences.

I cannot retract from this debate, nor stop posting about it, despite these trolling attempts to denigrate the validity of my arguments about how mission critical this situation is to serious, hard core editing engineers whose livelihoods depend upon Pro Tools to deliver the de facto professional audio editing tools that we have come to expect, so I make no apology for consistently bringing the issue to the fore on these forums, despite malicious attempts to try to "shut me up". It isn't going to happen unless/until it is rectified, or I am forced into reaction against this particular idiot who seems intent on trying to badger me off the forum, to the detriment of all the serious users who know and understand that what I am saying is absolutely correct, resulting in my being banned for trying to alert everyone to why this is such a serious issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (81.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (96.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2020, 05:43 PM

...the three attached files [post above] are the more lengthy, less politically correct version of the post I just made which I intended to copy/paste but this word processor would not allow that so read it if you are interested I have gone into somewhat more detail.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinaston View Post
Daz. Ya got nowt better to do. Go make music instead of trolling, if ya really want a flaming match, I'll give you one you will never forget, but not on here, I have told you, have the balls to either PM me or mail me because frankly, I am sick of your jerkoff attempts at trying to belittle and pour scorn upon what I am saying. Comprende?
Nolo comprende el putz
Darryl is one of the most knowledgeable people here on the DUC and you'd do well to listen to what he says. Coming off like you do ain't cool and will get you nowheres. Stop copping a 'tude, take a chill pill and come back when you've come down off whatever you're on and we'll be more than happy to help you.

QAPLA!
Old 07-26-2020, 06:09 PM

MartinAston - If you keep up with the personal insults you will not be able to post here anymore so chill and stop with that asap Thank you!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————