Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Can\'t bounce to a quicktime movie.......

I'm working on scoring a 90 minute movie on an 001 in PTLE beta.....i tried to bounce it down so i could burn it to a dvd to watch what i have so far but after about 5 minutes the bounced quicktime movie just turns into static....i did a couple of searches and it looks like other people have found this problem too......
has anyone figured out a solution to this?? should i try PT6? should i import the audio into imovie or idvd and burn from there??
any help would really be appreciated.....
thanks....
Old 07-31-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Can\'t bounce to a quicktime movie.......

Yes, the Bounce to Movie has always been acting weird. I've experienced desync between sound and picture when bouncing small parts of a whole movie and, indeed, that option sometimes just doesn't work at all... In a way, we should keep in mind that PT isn't really made for that purpose (outputting video), but one could also say "then, why is that option available in PT if it's not reliable??"... Good question.
Anyway, my advice would be, as you had already figured out, to use the bounce to disk option (audio only) and then use FCP, IMovie or any other app of that kind to export the mix along with the movie. Not only will it be more reliable but you'll be able to export the required Mpeg2 video file +audio file (48KHz/16 bits) needed in order to burn a DVD. PT will only export a .mov (uncompressed) file that will be unusable to burn a DVD (you'll have to export in Mpeg2 anyway).
While we're here, don't know if you're familiar with DVD, but you should know two things:
-You'll need QT Pro (with Mpeg 2 codec) in order to do the Mpeg 2 export. FCP or Imovie can also be used, but it's pretty much the same since they're using QT to export.
-When setting your Mpeg2 export, keep in mind that the maximum bitrate for a DVD is 9,8Mb. This means that you should set video rate around 8Mb, not more, since you also have audio. Otherwise, the DVD will be unreadable (it should even fail upon burning).
Hope that will help.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Can\'t bounce to a quicktime movie.......

thanks Mr T....sounds pretty complicated....i was hoping for an easier solution but thanks I'll give it a try!! IMovie doesn't seem to take large quicktime files either....