Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Need gear advice bad? Pro Tools 10 & mixing brands of converters

Been out of the loop for the last few years on the new technology for running Pro Tools as it's updated. Still running a Digi001 on a Dual G4 with Panasonic AD96/DA96 converters.

So what I want to do is update to ProTools 10, get rid of my 001, keep my Panasonic Converters and add a Lynx Aurora 16 converter set & pick up a one/two-year old used G5.

What would I need to get the Panasonic & Lynx converters working together? Lynx AES or LT-HD

The Apogee Symphony set also comes to mind and if this would work better then the Lynx.

Do I need to purchase a ProTools Core card & accel cards also?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Need gear advice bad? Pro Tools 10 & mixing brands of converters

If I get a Lynx Aurora with the Lynx AES card. Will that AES card also work with the Panasonic WZ-AD96 & DA96 converters? Also would it be helpful to get a ProTools Core card to offset some of the processing to that with the Accel card?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

the G5 has been out of production form more than 5 years'do you mean a Intel Mac Pro?
G5's won't run 10, Mac Pros will

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM

I am wrong. Yes your right a Mac Pro. Intel Xeon Quad I believe. What have been the most stable of the series?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Need gear advice bad? Pro Tools 10 & mixing brands of converters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I am wrong. Yes your right a Mac Pro. Intel Xeon Quad I believe. What have been the most stable of the series?
The hexa-core seems to be the best power/price bet with pro tools IMO. But it looks like apple may finally update the Mac Pro soon. So while you're looking used anyways, the price may drop a bit more with the release of the new ones.

And don't overlook metric halo interfaces. The ULN-8 is hard to beat. That said going HD has it's benefits also. The hexa-core Mac Pro with HD|N and an omni interface would be a killer little rig.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 PM

I am looking for 24-32 separate outputs to go out to the mixer. Now reading about the new Digi equipment out there. Is the Omni same quality converters as the AVID HD i/o?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM

For all practical purposes, they are the same converter design. The Omni has a smaller and slightly different power supply design.

People have posted on here that they use the two units together and interchangeably without hearing any real difference in sound and sound quality.

It is nothing like the last generation, where the 96io was a completely different design and quality than the 192.

If you plan to just add the Omni for the extra ins and outs in addition to your HD IO, it will be pretty much seamless for you.