Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-17-2023, 08:34 AM

Default Relink by name affects some stereo clips

On certain AAF's (from Adobe Premier, I think) I cannot relink the files by any method except "By Name." This works but –

Some of the stereo music clips import the same file for both the left and right channels, producing a two-channel mono clip.

Many other stereo clips import properly.

All the clips in the AAF folder only display an ID for the file name, so I have to manually audition every clip to match the stereo channels and manually import them into Protools.

Has anybody encountered this and found a fix?

This occurred in Pro Tool 2023.3 on an M1 iMac, first on Ventura, then on a cleanly re-installed Monterey OS running PT 2022.12 in Rosetta.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
UAD Volt 476
Old 05-17-2023, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Relink by name affects some stereo clips

I haven't seen this on previous versions. I'm still on 2022.7

When I get a mono music track it's always a Premiere track setting issue and it's actually mono media so I have to ask them to fix and re-export.

If you check the file name the clip is referencing is it similar/sequential to the matching file? You can display the file name in the clip list or check Workspace. So maybe you wouldn't have to audition every file.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
If you check the file name the clip is referencing is it similar/sequential to the matching file? You can display the file name in the clip list or check Workspace. So maybe you wouldn't have to audition every file.
Thank you. Seeing the file names in the workspace would be helpful and save me a lot of time.

But looking in the clip list shows the files after they've been imported wrong, so the files I need are not there.

The clip names (as shown in the clip list/time line) are indeed similar/sequential but their filenames are random, so stereo pairs are widely separated in the AAF folder.

Also, the bad stereo clips do not show as stereo in the clip list. They are just two separate mono files that happen to be paired on the timeline. When either clip (L or R) is revealed in the Finder or Workspace, it show the same mono clip for both.

EDIT: I think I'm using the wrong terminology. When I say ID, I mean the random alphanumeric file names show in the AAF folder. But what I'm looking for is the plain English clip name that is shown in the clip list and on the time line. I've just tried looking in the Workspace to see the clip names in plain English but unfortunately, there is no field that shows that. Whether it is "Name," "Clip name," "Full path," "Unique ID," or "SMPTE ID," it only shows the random alphanumeric name but not the plain English name that is shown on the timeline.

I'm trying to find away to see these names outside of ProTools so that I can manually reunite stereo pair without have to audition every single clip. Of course, it would be better if Pro Tools just imported the files correctly in the first place
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
UAD Volt 476

Last edited by Paul Morrow; 05-18-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:52 AM

Not sure what you're trying to do. The workspace can show pretty much any attribute of a file incl. name, IDs etc etc. just right-click on a column and make the info visible that you want. Not sure which field doesn't show "in plain English"?

Or am I missing the point?

From your initial post it sounds like you have duplicate file-names with different content?

Frank.