Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 PM

Default Borderless Pro Tools for Windows MAIN THREAD

Borderless Pro Tools for Windows | Main Thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I wrote a simple tool to make Pro Tools use the maximum screen real estate of your setups. (Single monitor/Multiple monitor)

- The tool's name is "Borderless Pro Tools for Windows" and it is currently in the beta version. I tested it with Windows 10 20H2 x64, didn't see any major bugs (More details below). It is free to all of you for now. But use it with caution.

- I wrote "Main Thread" in the title for a reason, this post will be main source for this project. All the download links, documentations, bug reports, known bugs, tutorials, version updates will be written here.

- I want you to contribute; report the bugs you have encountered, list your feature requests, write your comments, and help each others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Borderless Pro Tools for Windows

(Legacy Color Scheme / New Color Scheme)

What Can It Do?

1.) It can hide Edit/Mix windows' Title bars. It can revert them back.

2.) It can remove Pro Tools' main window's Title bar. It can revert it back.

3.) It can remove Pro Tools' main window's Menu bar. It can revert it back.

What Can't It Do?

1.) It can't position windows automaticly. You have to position them manually.

2.) It can't save windows' states to the drive. You have to set them with each session.

3.) It can't automaticly detect edit/mix windows. You have to capture them manually.

How To Use It?

--- Child Window Settings ---

1.) Click the "CAPTURE" button for the Edit/Mix window.

2.) Hover your cursor over the Edit/Mix window.

3.) Wait for the countdown to finish. If you captured wrong window, simply click the button again.

4.) After the countdown, the Edit/Mix window reference is stored. You don't have to capture it again throughout the session.

--- Main Window Settings ---

0.) No extra info needed.

Video Tutorial for the Best Practise

Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e2vjslpzCI

Things To Consider

1.) Borderless Pro Tools for Windows doesn't use any system resources. You can run it in the background throughout your Pro Tools session.

2.) You should not close the Borderless Pro Tools for Windows while you are still working on your session. You may not get main Pro Tools' Menu bar back for the current session.

3.) Be aware this program is currently in early beta, so USE WITH CAUTION!

Known Bugs and Workarounds

BUG-001: When opening the Borderless Pro Tools for Windows .Net Core error occurs.

NOBUG-001: This is not a bug. Borderless Pro Tools for Windows requires .Net Core to run. If you do not want to install .Net Core just downlaod the Full Package from the Download Sources section.

BUG-002: Edit/Mix Window Title bar unreachable after re-opening a session that previously used with Borderless Pro Tools for Windows.

WORKAROUND-002: Go to: "Menu bar -> Window -> Arrange -> Tile Vertical" Any of the arrange command will reposition windows and it will make Title bars reachable.

FIXING-002: No fix yet. Working on it.

BUG-003: If you open the Borderless Pro Tools for Windows before your Pro Tools session and try to capture Edit/Mix window, it will say "WRONG WINDOW" even though it is the correct window.

WORKAROUND-003: Open your Pro Tools session before the Borderless Pro Tools for Windows.

FIXING-003: No fix yet. Working on it.

Feature Requests

REQUEST-001: Automatic detection for the Edit/Mix windows.

REQUEST-002: Closing and re-opening the Borderless Pro Tools for Windows throughout the Pro Tools session should not cause any problems.

Download Sources

Warning: Borderless Pro Tools for Windows requires .Net Core to run. If you do not want to install .Net Core just downlaod the self-contained [FULL] Package.

Warning: Please report your bugs using the [Debug Build]. Write capturing results from it.

[Beta Build v.0.2] [FULL] Borderless Pro Tools for Windows | Manual Version: Download Here
[Virus Total Report] https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...81f9/detection

[Beta Build v.0.2] [COMPACT] Borderless Pro Tools for Windows | Manual Version: Download Here
[Virus Total Report]
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...4574/detection

[Debug Build v.0.3] [FULL] Borderless Pro Tools for Windows | Debug Version: Download Here

Tested with: Windows 10 20H2 x64 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.3.1 | Working

For Older Versions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8v?usp=sharing

For the Source Code: Github Repository

Last edited by nacerme; 05-29-2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-22-2021, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Borderless Pro Tools for Windows MAIN THREAD

Update Logs

Beta Build v.0.2 Fixed BUG-004, minor fixes and improvements.

-----> BUG-004: if borderless Edit/Mix windows overlap, it would cause very bad visual bugs.

-----> FIXED-004: Fixed on Beta Build v0.2

Last edited by nacerme; 04-30-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:10 AM

I love the idea of reducing border real estate. But remember: With any new application, always backup your system drive before installing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I love the idea of reducing border real estate. But remember: With any new application, always backup your system drive before installing.
That is correct but the tool will not make any permanent changes to your system or the Pro Tools itself.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:15 AM

Nice work! Thank you! For the record, I think it's troubling that third parties have to take it upon themselves to provide this kind of basic usability feature. If you can do this, why can't Avid fix the damn Windows interface?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Nice work! Thank you! For the record, I think it's troubling that third parties have to take it upon themselves to provide this kind of basic usability feature. If you can do this, why can't Avid fix the damn Windows interface?
Mine is a temporary fix. Avid has to change its design language and that will bring so much work to the table. Let's hope one day they will do it.

Last edited by nacerme; 04-23-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:58 PM

I downloaded the program. Thank You. Question....which version of Windows and Pro Tools does it work on?
Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdraudio View Post
I downloaded the program. Thank You. Question....which version of Windows and Pro Tools does it work on?
Well theoretically, it should run on win 7 and up and all the supported pro tools versions. If it doesn't work on your configuration just let me know, I will look into that.

And do not be afraid testing. It can not harm neither your pro tools nor the operating system in any way. Just open a test session and try it out.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:40 PM

Thanks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The classic version will capture fine, but when activating any of the functions, nothing changes. The new color version always reports wrong window. This is Windows 8.1 and Pro Tools 2021.3

Mark
Old 04-24-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdraudio View Post
Thanks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The classic version will capture fine, but when activating any of the functions, nothing changes. The new color version always reports wrong window. This is Windows 8.1 and Pro Tools 2021.3

Mark
Well they are identical besides the color scheme. You need to open your pro tools session first in order it to work (look for BUG-003). You can watch the youtube video and read the post to be sure you are not doing something wrong and I will test it in windows 8.1, I will report it here.