Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Default Pro Tools 10.2 freezing windows. No task manager.

I cannot control-alt-delete. I cannot determine what exactly is causing this. It seems to happen when creating a new track, instantiating a new plugin, or bouncing to disk. The mouse ponter will freeze in the middle of the screen , and I have to manually turn off the computer by holding down the power button. does anyone know what could be causing this? I reinstalled the program, and now it seems only to freeze/crash during bounce. Thanks in advance.

I am inches from cubase....
Old 06-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.2 freezing windows. No task manager.

Have you tried going back to 10.1?
Loading with no plugins?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Dave911, to the rescue again. I will try this and report back tomorrow. I am using a lt of uad plugs... I wonder if they are causing the problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM

I had the same mouse and keyboard freeze in 10.2
I had to kill KORE from NI and a synth from XILS Labs
I guess KORE has been trouble for some PT users before, (discontinued now anyway) the XILS one was always OK before.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 PM

Male sure you do every single endows optimisation avid recommend. Windows aero played havak with PT I used to get loads of trouble untill I did this. I did do most of the optimisations but missed a few out. After going to their YouTube account and watching them all I realised there were a few I'd not done

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM

It sounds like a hardware problem. Raoul just changed a card slot that fixed everything. i had a crash problem when I was using a tv tuner card but only on occassion. Protools may be unique in that it prioritizes things differently. An example is that when I forget to sync my apogee Mini Me to my Maudio 192, It still locks in never makes even the slightest pop and none of the waves are corrupt. It's amazing that they stay in phase or whatever ever it is in digital speak while unlocked. On the other hand, Cubase will have all kinds of pops and clicks when I forget to lock up. This makes me think that other audio software doesn't try to "own" the hardware like Pro Tools does. It isn't very convenient sometimes but when it works, it really works.
So when you have hardware conflicts in Cubase, it can let go of the hardware but you may be in there fixing a few waves but the program will chug along fine. If you get your hardware and interrupts happening in Protools, Cubase will run better too. A lot of people think that you can't have interrupt conflicts now with all the virtual interrupts but if you look at the interrupt list in Device Manager, you will still see alot of shared interrupts. Moving a card may make the system happier.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Hardware problem? All I have is a MOTU Card and HD192, along with a UAD2 card. they are using my only 2 PCIE slots. Are you recommending swapping their slots? Thanks so much to everyone else. I will do all the optimizations I can today.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM

Ok. Once I tried doing the optimizations, the session was still misbehaving, but rather than taking the whole computer down, Windows was able to terminate PT. It turns out the problem was my uad plugins. As long as they were turned off, everything was smooth sailing. Once I turned even one one, the pro tools cpu meter went absolutely bezerk. It looks like I may have to take this one up with UA. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Try the slot swapping. It may not work and it is a pita but you could have everything smooth sailing. I had to choose to simply not use one of my slots or have intermittent trouble and have a tv tuner going. The tuner is waiting for it's own computer. TV does look nice on a computer.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 PM

OK I am seriously not trying to be a wise @#$. But judging from this thread I perhaps should NOT update PT10 to 10.2? I say this because while running the PT10 thirty day trial , I did install the 10.2 update and had to go back to PT9 due to the same issues I see described here. I have since purchased PT10 and am VERY happy , but am VERY leary about this 10.2 update. What does this update promise anyway that is worth the aggravation? Wonder if our pals on the MAC side have these problems?

Jerry