Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2023, 03:12 AM

Default I built a Dolby Atmos capable hardware panner

Hey community,
for my bachelor thesis in 2020 a friend and I built a fully motorized surround panner with a motorized hight axis. It`s very much a prototype but it works fine. It`s capable of HUI and MIDI, so it works with Nuendo. Is there a possibility to code for EuCon with the new Pro Tools SDK?

I know that Harrison has a patent on motorized joysticks in the US, but our design is patented in europe.

Also, I've made a pretty wonkers video for a possible binaural mixing scenario. But one can guess the usability.

https://youtu.be/DS-aVLPg-SY

If anyone has an idea of how to integrate this to the Pro Tools mixing environment, please let me know!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xyz joystick pic 1.jpg (21.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 04:59 AM

Default Re: I built a Dolby Atmos capable hardware panner

Interesting Jonathan!
I would be in the market for an Atmos capable joystick but that looks just too big for me I'm afraid. I would have nowhere to put it on my desk and I bet your arm gets tired holding it at that angle? Is it a prototype of something which would be smaller in production?
I guess you've seen the old JL Cooper joystick? That was capable of Atmos panning by twisting the joystick top for height. I used it at Dolby in the UK years ago and it was good, but it didn't follow track selection. It only worked with the Dolby Atmos panner which was controllable by midi.
I'm not sure what the opening up of the Avid SDK has allowed. No one has given the details of how much of the Eucon protocol is now available.
I know that the guys at Soundflow are working with Avid and using the new SDK availability to integrate Soundflow macros into Eucon. Maybe you could ask them if the panner interface is available?
AFAIK Eucon is the only way to access all the parameters of the Atmos panner and get it to follow the active track.
Good luck with the project!
Old 05-01-2023, 05:29 AM

Hey Cheesehead,
yeah it's pretty much a prototype. It's way too big for a casual workflow. Of course it could be realized much smaller with the same design. But without EuCon ability there is no need for improving this project.
Greets
Old 05-01-2023, 05:34 AM

Thanks a lot haven't thought of the Soundflow guy. I'll write them a mail!
Old 05-01-2023, 06:49 AM

Avid has not opened Eucon for control. They keep that proprietary. Only receiving Eucon commands is open to other developers. HUI would be the only option for PT. Which only allows for 7.1 I believe.

AFAIK the Soundflow "integration" just allows triggering Soundflow from Eucon assignable buttons.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:44 AM

Hey Will, thanks for clarification. It's a bummer but I can understand Avid's reasons holding back EuCon SDKs. Greets
Old 05-02-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Roesch View Post
Hey Will, thanks for clarification. It's a bummer but I can understand Avid's reasons holding back EuCon SDKs. Greets
Just watched your video.

Gut gemacht!
Old 05-03-2023, 03:10 AM

Hang on though Will.
If you can receive Eucon commands, doesn't that mean you could receive the protocol for the surround panner?

After all Pro Tools is receiving those commands from PT Control or the S6?
Or have I over thought it?

Apparently you will be able to trigger Soundflow macros from PT Control softkeys in a future release, so we're not too far away?

I guess only Avid knows the full answer, it would be great if they opened it up fully.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:54 AM

Avid is not licensing Eucon to be used with 3rd party hardware. The Eucon SDK is available to software developers to allow for their software to be controlled from Avid control surfaces.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:32 AM

Ok, but a bit sad. Thanks for the clarification.
I suppose if they did Behringer would make an S6 for £200.00.
I can see why they don't.