Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-16-1999, 05:33 AM

Default Need help today

To whomever can help. I need a "talk through" installing Audiovision 4.1v9 today which I downloaded from the net last night. not "sit" file but the hqx file... see I dont even know if I'm using the right terms or abreviations. anyway how this all started was I cant seem to get around in audiovision without crashing because of an

"unmapped memory " error

it's wierd... I can open a project... play a sequence back ... double click a clip and play it.. but as soon as I click and hold to drag a bin ,or a clip from a bin.. CRASH!!!
So one of the avid techs said.." you need to reinstall your audiovision software and build a new set of extensions... I guess he did'nt think I should have the extentions I had on ... I read em off to him and thats what he said.

New AV version install and new extensions set built. He thought extensions set issue or a corrupt file that was setting off the memory crash.

I need help cuz I gotta be up and running monday morning.

anyone...anyone !!!! please help.

------------------
Vindog
Old 10-16-1999, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Need help today

Unfortunately, I don't kow AV well enough to help you, but I would recommend that you post this in the AudioVision Forum so other AV users might see it, and also check out some of the older posts, like http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000080.html
Choose the drop down menu in the AV forum to view posts from the last 60 days or more to see all of the posts.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Mgr. eMarketing

Old 10-17-1999, 11:56 AM

Vindog

Have you by any chance got Quicktime 4 installed. I installed Media cleaner Pro last week and it installed QT4 as part of its setup . Now Av has the same problems as your having. I just turn off QT in the extensions folder and it runs fine.

hope this is of some help

Tony
Old 10-17-1999, 01:52 PM

Tony, thanks for that info, we'll database it.

Vindog,

You may also want to take a look at some of these things in addition to Tony's suggestion...

1) make sure disk cache in the memory control panel is set to 96k or 128k and virtual memory is off. Reboot the computer if changes are made.

2) AudioVision requires "interleaved" Ram. This means that any RAM added to the system must be added in pairs of identical SIMMs and they must be added to each bank in the 9500 or 9600 appropiately. For example, Installing two 32MB SIMMs, one SIMM must be installed in the A bank and the second SIMM of the pair must be installed in the B bank. Both SIMMs should be in the corresponding number of each bank (A1 and B1, A2 and B2, etc.) If this does not make any sense, a utility called "Guru" should explain it better. I believe Guru is a shareware utility that you should be able to find fairly easily.

3) AudioVision will have problems if more than 1 gig of RAM is installed in the 9500 or 9600 (regardless how much is allocated to AV).

4) Bad RAM, swap it out.

5) If this is a new AV install, you MUST run the AudioVison 4.1 installer (the CD rom that should have come with your system) first before upgrading to 4.1v9. The 4.1 installer places all of the necessary extensions/control panels, utilities, etc. into your system in the appropriate places. The 4.1v9 that you downloaded is the application and supporting files only, it needs all the goodies installed by the 4.1 installer in order to run.

A couple of questions for you...

Is this a new installation of AV PCI?

If not, were you able to get any previous versions of AV installed, launched and working properly?

What are the system specs?

CPU type?

Mac OS?

Amount of Ram installed in the sytem?

Any RAM recently added?

Is there an Expansion chassis installed?

Jon
Old 10-17-1999, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Jon, for jumping in on a Sunday.
re: #2 - I used to use Guru from Newertech.com everyday, but I've recently switched to using the Apple Memory Guide that Apple started this year, with updates every 2 months. I have the latest version posted in our Documents section at http://www.digidesign.com/serv/documents.html
Latest RAM info, pictures and everything.

Bruce
Old 10-18-1999, 06:46 AM

Tony , jon , bruce and all others.

Thanx so much for all your help and response. The most familure was the quick time thingy and yes I did recently have it running but on saturday I came into work... UgHHHH ! but could not get online to check the user conf so don't think I was being rude... I am very appreciative ... really... thank you all.
Friday I started the download of 4.1v9 and saturday when I got in I had a window saying..."corrupt archive etc..." so I threw it all out ( what I had gotten from the download ) and was going to try it all again and discovered and remembered after discovering that I had downloaded 4.1v9 previously some weeks ago and had it ready to go when I chose to use it.

Here's where I'm at monday morning.

I had AV 4.1v9 with its "settings" , "supporting files" etc.. all in a folder and waiting for me to run it when the mood struck me. I was succesfully running 4.1v8 and being a "if it aint broke don't fix it " kinda guy... I just stayed with it and expected to stay with it until P-tools 5.0 rocks our world. However this last fridays events left me scrambling for any solution. I fired up 4.1v9 and lo and behold... no crashes... no memory mapping errors... it seems to be working fine. My ??? now is " am I living with a false sense of security now.??? should I expect the same types of things to begin happening.???

I will go thru and follow your directions JON and check out the ram and virtual memory etc...

also was wondering should I throw out prefs...throw out settings... anything like that... ??? save my prefs/settings , if it's working good now ???

do I want to make a new extensions set so I know when I'm running audiovision I'm getting all I can from my system to ensure a smooth running program.

any way I'll keep checking this string today and jon I will check in again with you.

thanx again all... on with the show $%^&*()!!!

------------------
vindog