Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Default audio dropping out intermittently - Quick Time Server?

I've been having an intermittent issue since upgrading to a new Mac Pro last year. Working in PT, every once in awhile the playback will start dropping out, then coming back - as if someone were randomly pushing a mute button every few seconds during playback. I figured out early on that the behavior goes away if I open Activity Monitor and disable Pro Tools Quick Time Server or if I simply turn off Wi Fi before launching a session.

It hasn't been a huge problem so I haven't bothered posting about it till now. Even after upgrading from PT 11 to most recent PT 12.4 it still occurs. It would be nice to be able to keep the Wi Fi on while working in PT (some plugin authorizations require it at launch).

I'm trying to avoid all that comes with major OS upgrades until I finish current recording projects, so am still running Yosemite. Would an OS upgrade be a 'magic fix' or is there a system optimization I've overlooked?

Otherwise, PT 11 and 12 have both been very stable for me, a pleasure to work with. Just this one peculiar, intermittent glitch...
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Default Re: audio dropping out intermittently - Quick Time Server?

I got the audio drop out today for the first time.
Interested to see who else has something to say
Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 PM

I'm also curious to know why, when I'm working in PT, the Pro Tools Quick Time Server pops up as active in the Activity Monitor, even though I'm not working with video.

For that matter, I'm also curious to know what the heck PT Quicktime Server does! Google search only results in people relating problems with it - can't find anything that explains what it does and why it would be running all the time.
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Same here. Pro Tools 12.4. El Capitan fully updated and the 'pro tools quicktime server' and 'pro tools' donesn't responding in activity monitor...

PRO TOOLS IS UNUSABLE NOW... each click takes 30 seconds to 5 minutes to make an effect.

And was working fine during the last two month...

And i fear, because after 2 hours searching, i see dozens of users with the SAME exact problem since version 11.

Hey AVID, whats up?!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 PM

I'm back to 12.3 for now, which works fine for me.

I cannot spare the time to fiddle