Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Question Mac Pro+ LE users: need your expertise!

Hi everyone, I posted this on gearslutz, and welcome any feedback here too:

So, long time PC user finally making the move to the fruit aisle!

As such, I'd like your recommendations based on my work environment. Most of my friends are Mac Pro + PT HD users, so I'm more interested in the LE experience.

The short question is which Mac Pro to buy?

The potential short answers are:

"My good man, I say get the latest and greatest Nehalem Processor, 8-core, even if you can only afford the 2.26. Yes, it's very expensive, but it'll future proof you and it truly is the most comprehensive mac you can get for your current setup...."

or...

"Sir, I say get a used 8-core mac pro with the older xeon processor (harpertown) because the Nehalem's are only a (fill in the blank) improvement and young man, you'll be saving so much money it's ridiculous. Yes, I know you use PT LE, but you must trust my words: the harpertown processor is fantastic. Just careful of those godforsaken Craiglist scammers!!"

The background:
I use PT LE, along with Reason 4, BFD for my drums, Duende and (currently) 2 UAD-1 cards. I realize those are going to have to go, so I'll be picking up a UAD-2 duo, most likely.
I will also use 3 separate drives (system / audio / samples+bfd).

I've been getting a fair amount of conflicting advise why to go either way. So hopefully this can drill down specific to my needs.

Thanks so much everyone!
Chance
Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro+ LE users: need your expertise!

Nehalem is an amazing CPU and plays with PT very nicely. Check out this thread for benchmark results: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Things you might want to consider about Mac Pro:
- If I recall correctly, PT cannot see all 16 cores ( (2x4 core CPU)x2 with HyperThreading)
- Current Mac Pro line is about to be refreshed. Hold on a few weeks for a 'free' upgrade
- Currently shipping Macs have Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) preinstalled. So far Pro Tools does not play nice with this OS.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 PM

PT say mine has 16 cores, so it can see it :)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacentyS View Post
Nehalem is an amazing CPU and plays with PT very nicely. Check out this thread for benchmark results: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Things you might want to consider about Mac Pro:
- If I recall correctly, PT cannot see all 16 cores ( (2x4 core CPU)x2 with HyperThreading)
- Current Mac Pro line is about to be refreshed. Hold on a few weeks for a 'free' upgrade
- Currently shipping Macs have Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) preinstalled. So far Pro Tools does not play nice with this OS.
re: line being refreshed:
Ah, very interesting Jacenty. Hmm, that does give me serious pause to wait just a bit. thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate it. Have you heard much as to when specifically? I'll check out mac rumors and do some googling too, but if you're heard something specific...

heard about 10.6 not playing nice, but isn't it supposed to be easy to revert to the previous version? (or at least relatively easy)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM

If you are into podcasts there is a really good one "Mac OS Ken" that give you all the Apple news and has info on when new units might be out. I've heard November and Feb for refreshes. I am in the market for a Mac Pro too, but I am looking to buy a used one with at least a quad-core for under $2000 max in the next few months. I don't mind what size hard drive or RAM because I plan on upgrading them ASAP anyways unless I can get at least 8Gb RAM already in the machine.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacentyS View Post
Check out this thread for benchmark results: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238426
I don't see anything listed for Mac Pros. Curious what a quad-core 2.66GHz w/ 8Gb RAM can do. I am looking at at least a quad 2.66GHz, love to have a quad 3.0GHz!

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 09-30-2009, 10:22 AM

Cool, Carl. Thanks, will check out. Also found the macrumors buying guide which is saying to hold off unless absolutely necessary. They're not giving a prediction date, but that it seems to happen in November.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 AM

a
Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm pretty happy with my new MacPro 2.26 dual (see sig below). I run a couple of instances of Altiverb or IR-L, 20-25 audio tracks, tons of EQ and Compression, a couple of Amplitubes, Addictive Drums, Stylus RMX with effects, a few VIs, and it still doesn't go over 40% most of the time.

I haven't maxed it out yet on any session so far. I usually run at 128 buffers, but have gotten a few glitches using EA extensively when doing that, so sometimes I'll raise it to 256, which is still very usable for me. (Vocals are monitored externally, so I don't have to deal with microphone/headphone latency issues).

16 cores show up in PTLE 8.01 and I have 15 selected for RTAS. I don't think it's crashed yet with Protools, although it crashed with Sibelius once.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 AM

Hopefully with this Mac refresh they will include the Mac Pro and I can get my hands on a good refurbished 8-core!

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab