Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2022, 01:51 PM

Default Re: How to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in Routing Folder?

Yep, as i wrote 2% of all users would prefer to have to do it manually. The popup was just an idea how to solve this, I would prefer to have it in prefs like "Always output all tracks inside routing folder to folder outputs". Thats the whole idea of routing folders.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:33 PM

Default Re: How to autoroute tracks when moved to, or created in Routing Folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PN2013 View Post
Yep, as i wrote 2% of all users would prefer to have to do it manually. The popup was just an idea how to solve this, I would prefer to have it in prefs like "Always output all tracks inside routing folder to folder outputs". Thats the whole idea of routing folders.
this guy gets it
Old 05-13-2022, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn2013 View Post
yep, as i wrote 2% of all users would prefer to have to do it manually. The popup was just an idea how to solve this, i would prefer to have it in prefs like "always output all tracks inside routing folder to folder outputs". Thats the whole idea of routing folders.
+10000
Old 05-13-2022, 09:04 AM

"2%" Make up numbers to suit position.

If just reordering/rearranging tracks changes a mix, that's a bad DAW system.
If you change channel widths, you will lose pan automation.

With a modifier key or pop-up window, this seems reasonable but not otherwise. But how beginner do you have to be not to know how to change routing for a bunch of tracks with one click? The "route to folder" when creating a folder makes sense because that's happening when the session is being structured. No chance of doing unintended harm.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
"2%" Make up numbers to suit position.

If you change channel widths, you will lose pan automation.

With a modifier key or pop-up window, this seems reasonable but not otherwise. But how beginner do you have to be not to know how to change routing for a bunch of tracks with one click? The "route to folder" when creating a folder makes sense because that's happening when the session is being structured. No chance of doing unintended harm.
Yes I wouldn't want Tools re-allocated outputs without telling me but a think a pop-up could work? "Do you want to re-allocate output to routing folder?" Or would this just get incredibly annoying? Maybe it's just easier to do it manually? I'm a bit ambivalent about this to be honest.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
"
To be fair, if you move a track into a "basic" folder that's already muted, that wll inevitably also mute the track you've moved - so re-ordering tracks *can* change a mix anyway.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
++++1 for that feature

I 100% always want tracks within a routing folder to be routed to that folder. I always thought it was a bit goofy that this wasn't the case.
+1 to that, but I do appreciate the flexibility. there are situations where one might want to route member tracks elsewhere. I'd always wished that whatever happened to the routing folder should also happen to the contents (such as freeze) Freeze is there to lighten the CPU load when needed, so why would I want to freeze the folder and leave the tracks in it unfrozen? It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even though I know other folks feel differently.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PN2013 View Post
Yes man.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
+1 to that, but I do appreciate the flexibility. there are situations where one might want to route member tracks elsewhere. I'd always wished that whatever happened to the routing folder should also happen to the contents (such as freeze) Freeze is there to lighten the CPU load when needed, so why would I want to freeze the folder and leave the tracks in it unfrozen? It really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, even though I know other folks feel differently.
The default should be the logical action. ie a track in a routing folder is routed to that folder’s output. IF you want to change that after the fact, fine. But why would anyone assume that dragging a track into a routing folder wouldn’t route that track? Obviously some programmer at Avid.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
The default should be the logical action. ie a track in a routing folder is routed to that folder’s output. IF you want to change that after the fact, fine. But why would anyone assume that dragging a track into a routing folder wouldn’t route that track? Obviously some programmer at Avid.
OK, here's the thing the way I see it...defaults (intelligent, logical ones) are always good and helpful, but then options should always be provided simply because people (and work scenarios) are different. What is unacceptable is having unreasonable defaults enforced without the option to change them as one sees fit. And if I might add... Avid is sometimes great at doing just that.