Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-1998, 11:37 AM

Default Re: ProTools for NT to early?

JFJR, I've got second answer from Waves that there is NO PLANS AT ALL! for support PT/NT. I use Waves stuff everyday and I not only need L1, but also S1 and C1. Without it PT for me is useless and I'm very dissapointed. Now I'm checking prices of G3 Macs and try to forget about all good things PT/NT _COULD_ give me :-(
Przemek.
Old 11-17-1998, 03:57 AM

What do ANY of you actually gain from running ProTools on NT? What? I just dont understand. Being productive? Can't you be productive on PT for MacOS? Why PT for NT? Do you save $400 on hardware after spending 20K on digi hardware? And end up with a pentium-2 - half the speed of a G3. It just seems like such a joke. PT|NT is stable? WOW- so is PT for MacOS. WHAT DOES ANYONE GAIN FROM PT|NT?
Old 11-17-1998, 06:16 AM

Invect,
I want to run PT on NT because the other software I use is PC based.I burn CD's with Sonic Foundry's CD Architect.I do 2 track-editing in Sound Forge and Acid is essential to me for loop based music.I've used Bias Peak on the Mac and it isn't as good or stable as Sound Forge.Masterlist CD is goog but CD Architect is better.Also I am fond of using both mouse-buttons.
Pro Tools would be part of my system not my entire system.So switching to Mac isn't just the cost of the computer but the learning and purchasing new software.Most of us here who are thinking of PT NT are upgrading from Session 8 or already own PC's.
I have no problems with Macs and am even debating getting a Mac solely for PT and running my PC for everything else.It just that the extra-1500 to 2000 dollars could be spent on dsp farms or plug-ins.
As to the flame baiting G3 is twice the speed of PII comment- does it matter? Most of the power of PT is on the d24 card. Disk I/O is handled by adaptec scsi card.What role does the cpu play in PT? Screen-redraws?Audiosuite plug-ins?I don't see what difference it makes when using a system like PT.
Old 11-17-1998, 08:29 AM

First - future. Second - more PCI slots and integrated SCSI controller, faster graphics, cost of hardware upgrade (processor, mainboard e.t.c.). Stability is equal, I agree. But I also have many PCs around doing different tasks and I have invested lot in PC software. If it comes to speed, it depends who is doing tests (MacWorld or PC Magazine ;-) I don't like trackball and I love 3-button mouse - and a new one with scrolling is fun. And I know PC hardware and software - I have Mac as well, with PT, SD II and various plug-ins - and in my situation cost of PT/NT is even higher than upgrade to Mac vesion - but without Waves I have no choice - ONLY MAC!
Przemek.
Old 11-17-1998, 10:19 AM

And the most important - I thought that PT/NT will read my Session8/PC archive...:-(
Old 11-18-1998, 08:42 AM

I have to agree with Przemek, the lack of a session 8 import is a pain in the butt for session users (and I am one). I have the money to upgrade my studio NOW. What would you do? I use both PC and Mac for music (soundtracks) + multimedia + web sites and the mac is more stable in general (this is not flame-bait, just my experience). Yes, JFJR, I too like the extra mouse button and sound forge etc. But if I want to configure a computer with ProTools and Logic or Cubase its still a no-brainer as to which platform I'll go with. I may answer differently in 12 months time, but I need to start a bunch of projects now. So back to the original topic of this thread, ProTools for NT to early, for me, I have to answer yes. And this from a die-hard session 8 PC user!